Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 May 2002 09:32:49 -0700
From:         AA Transaxle <aatransaxle@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Which redline oil to use
Comments: To: poll7356@uidaho.edu
Comments: cc: eunrau@yahoo.ca, Trvlr2001@aol.com, developtrust@cox.net,
          biharris@CGMAILBOX.COM, jhrodgers@MINDSPRING.COM, Sibleyjm@aol.com

Matthew is correct..with Redlne, you probably should fill to the bottom of the fill hole. It is thinner and will help the cold shifting just for that reason, while filling it to the upper level will keep the gears happier in the long run. I have come accross times when a trans will leak if filler to the correct level and stops when it is down a tadbit. Those owners just left it low and never topped off the oil and they went for years without problems. Seems to me that it may not be so critical to keep the level right, but just to change it once in a while would do more to make it live longer. Every 30K is about right I think. Stick your finger in the fill hole and see if the oil is changing color..if It is, then definately change it. Matthew, if you see that someone has a trans type question, feel free to send it to me...I am about fed up with the list and its BS and don't always read the days posts. I am not on the list to make my fortune, but to try to help. Feel free to post any of my replies to the list also...Later Daryl of AA Transaxle Duvall, WA. (Seattle area) (425) 788-4070 1-877-377-0773 (toll free) aatransaxle.com (web site)

On Wed, 1 May 2002 09:10:07 -0700 (PDT) Matthew Pollard <poll7356@uidaho.edu> writes: > > that Bentley says the transmission holds 3.2 quarts. I put 3.2 in > and > > verified that the level is 15mm below the bottom edge of the fill > hole. > > ***Is this right?*** I haven’t sprung for a Bentley yet. > > This lower amount was because of hard-shifting in the cold when > there was > more oil in the tranny. With redline i put it in till it spilled out > of > the fill-hole. She shifts great in all weather (0 deg F to 100+ deg > F) > -matthew >