Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 May 2002 10:10:35 -0700
From:         Eric Spletzer <eric@SENIORNET.ORG>
Subject:      Newbie seeking '85 Vanagon Muffle Brackets and Water Input Housing

Hi everyone.

I'm a newbie to this list, so forgive me if I'm missing anything or posting inappropriately.

I just bought my first van about 2 weeks ago... Needless to say, I love this thing. It's an '85 water cooled Westy with the full camper package. I've already given it a full tune-up and made it pass smog (California) pretty much by myself, which I'm really proud of. I've never had a car that is so easy to work on - it's amazing, and ton's a of fun. In 2 weeks, I've driven 1800 miles, including one 1200 mile trip from San Francisco to Death valley that had 6 5000 ft elevation changes and 200 miles of dirt road. 2 weeks and she's passed through some major abuse. I love it.

So there are still a bunch of minor little parts that I noticed are missing/damaged, and I really want to get this into mint or near mint condition. This, I imagine will be an ongoing process, and I appreciate all your help in advance. So here goes.

#1) The muffler - I noticed is loose, and just hanging by the bolts that connect it to the converter. I noticed some brackets above it that look like they are missing something. Are there supposed to be brackets holding it. I can't seem to find them in any of my books. If so - does anyone know where I can get them cheap?

#2) The place where I put water in (The reservoir, not the water hookup) has a broken housing. The plastic piece with the connector to the hose. I found a replacement part, but the guy wanted 65 bucks, and it looked like a new design that wasn't necessarily as good as the old. Again - anybody know where I can find one cheap?

While I'm at it.....

#3) Anybody know where I can get the little plastic trim screws that hold the black plastic trim to the bumper? Mine have broken, and epoxy doesn't seem to hold the bumper for too long.

#4) I've read a few things about the octane fuel, one that says you can use 87, and one that says you need to use 91. I know about the two different types of octane ratings, but I thought the older engines need the highest octane possible since octane when these came out was much higher in general.

Thanks to all who read this and humor a newbie.

-eric -- Eric Spletzer

"I'm convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% the way I react to it." -- Charles Swindoll