Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 May 2002 17:54:53 EDT
From:         JordanVw@AOL.COM
Subject:      3.2L waterboxer, and 2.6L 5cyl in vw van

. It's basically the same motor that started out as a 2.2 litre in the Microbus, was bored to 2.3, stroked to 2.5 and then bored and stroked to 2.6. Bolting up to a normal Audi gearbox should work, but I've never tried it so don't take my word for it. I've spoken to the VW factory rebuild centre about the difference between the blocks and they reckon the 2.6 has either a taller or a shorter (memory fails me now) block than the usual 2.2 AAR engine. It was probably a taller block than the 2.3 because I recall something about being able to fit pistons, rods and crank into the 2.3 block but having to then deck the piston tops a bit.

Shipping, however, is going to be crazy. :)

Also, as far as I can recall, the 2.6 is built for torque, not power. It has the same power output as the 100KW 2.3 litre engine and only about 5KW more than the 2.2 litre version. So I would assume a bit of cam work will get the power up. :) I'm assuming here, once again never tried it.

Another catch over here is that people seem to want to sell the engine separate from the engine management, which I kind of don't understand. At the moment VW have been producing a 2.3 and 2.6 litre version using Motronic EFI.

There is also a VW/Audi engine rebuild and conversion centre that offers a 2.7 litre version of the I-5 and from speaking to them I found out they actually make their own crank using some sort of welding procedure. Actually, they also offer a 3.2 boxer engine for the Microbus.

There are quite a number of odd things over here, especially the so-called JT conversion which fits a Ford 3-litre or 3.2-litre V6 engine into the Microbus using the stock gearbox. Quite a bit more pull, but I still don't understand how a 3.2 makes 108KW and a 2.6 makes 100KW. :) It's the torque, I tell you.

G.