Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 Apr 2002 08:38:29 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: westy accident waiting to happen
Comments: To: redhotlava@HAWAII.RR.COM

You aleways write a report worthy of James Mitchner, could it be that you are in Paridise and we are all in Smoggy View?

Stan

On Sat, 27 Apr 2002 23:50:36 -1000 Mick Kalber <redhotlava@HAWAII.RR.COM> writes: > I have to share a story with you volks... > > Yesterday a friend and I went camping at Makalawena, my favorite > beach here on the Big Island. After a very slow half hour drive > over one of the worst 4wd roads I know on the island, we arrived > mid-afternoon yesterday. We sat on the beautiful crescent shaped > beach with the wind blowing softly off the water, took a swim and > watched the sun set. My idea of a wonderful time with my syncro. > > Got a good night's sleep and woke up about 7:00 this morning. My > partner decided to make some coffee and put a big pan of water on > the stove in the westy. I was still lying in bed... we were talking > and the water began to boil. I decided to brush my teeth and > reached over to turn the water on in the sink while I was still > lying on the lower bed. Apparently the top to the stove was not > locked all the way and my hand hit the support and unlatched it. > The top fell down hard, striking the pot of boiling water. Scalding > water leapt out of the pot and splashed on my upper arm. Needless > to say, I jumped, striking the pan and throwing more hot water all > over the bus and the two of us. the pan went flying and landed on > the floor, flinging still more hot water around. I was an > incredible sequence of events... asses and elbows flying to try to > avoid being scalded by the airborne boiling liquid. > > Realizing that my shoulder and arm were being burned by the water > that soaked my shirt, I tore it off as quickly as I could... too > late. I looked at my arm to see the skin peeling off like it does > several days after a bad sunburn. End result... first and second > degree burns over a fairly large part of my upper arm, and under up > to the armpit. Doesn't feel real good. Ended our camping trip > rather abruptly with a quick trip to the emergency room. Fortunately > that was the only serious injury... it could have been much worse. > > The reason I'm writing is simply to warn those of you who have > westys to make sure the stove top is securely locked next time you > cook. When it is opened and locked properly, it is very difficult, > if not impossible to accidentally unlock by hitting it with your > hand while operating the sink. But if it only latches part way, as > ours apparently was, it can unlock with a slight tap and disaster > can result. > > Please check this on your westy... believe me, you don't want > scalding water (or anyting else) flying around your van... it's not > much fun. > > Best to you all... and safe camping! > > Aloha, > > Mick Kalber > 89 Syncro Westy "Daddeo" > Tropical Visions Video, Inc. > 62 Halaulani Place > Hilo, Hawaii 96720 > 808-935-5557 > 808-935-0066 (fax) > redhotlava@hawaii.rr.com > http://www.volcanoscapes.com/ >