Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 May 2002 09:14:24 -0400
From:         Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Moroso Ceramic Engine Seal/ Ken Wilfry?
Comments: To: Mark Dorm <mark_hb@HOTMAIL.COM>

Wow, this thread brings back memories :) I haven't used the Moroso Ceramic Sealer for a long while, but it is still a great product for getting you through an emergency situation. When I used it I drained the water with the excess Moroso and let it dry overnight like the directions state. The next day I didn't flush the system out, but just added antifreeze until the system was approx 50/50 mix again (see the Bentley for the amount of coolant in the system and then do the math). I wondered if leaving some of the Moroso in the system would mess things up, however it was a life saver. We went on a trip down to Georgia with the van (my '85 Smurf blue beast that is now RIP) and the waterpump started leaking. I had no spare and we are traveling with the kids, and the van was loaded down. I just decided to add coolant and try to nurse it the rest of the way down. Guess what? The Moroso sealed the leak and it was fine the rest of the trip and then up until the time I pulled the motor (still running with no leaks, but the van was rusted to pieces).

So if you have an emergency or want to have something to use for emergency leak seal, I would encourage the use of this stuff. It will seal not only external leaks but also internal coolant leaks into the combustion chamber. And unlike other products that use a tar-like substance to gum up your entire coolant system, ever-after damning your radiator and other components to slow and torturous death, this stuff flushes out. What is left becomes like cement and is an almost permanant level repair (I would encourage you to use any grace period supplied by Moroso to save up money for doing the job right in the not-so-distant future though). Well that is my bi-yearly post about this topic. Now I can't discuss it again until 2004 :)

Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 http://www.vanagain.com Phone: (856)-327-4936 Fax: (856)-327-2242

I found Moroso Ceramic Engine Seal at Santa Ana Speed in Orange County. I couldn't find it anywhere in LA. Someplace on Pico Blvd in LA tried to tell me they had the same exact stuff under different brand but the directions where different. Their's was saying to leave in for 2 to 3 days, and Moroso says no more than 24 hours. So they can't be the same stuff. Liars are bastards, I'll avoid that store in the future, even his demeanor suggested he fibbing.

The thing I'm wondering is, after I drain the Moroso to let it dry overnight, do I need to remove the engine plug under the shield which has to be removed? Won't there be water still in there otherwise? Looking in the Archives however, I find that people avoid dealing with that shield; that its something of a nightmare. I especially like the entry I found by searching under "flush radiator" to replace the coupling in the heater exchange hose above the spare tire with a flush fitting, which I take to mean a Tee. It means I don't have to cut anything. I looked above the spare tire, and sure enough, the coupling is there. So I bought Prestone's little Tee kit which is nice because it has screw clamps. A mechanic I spoke with said its better to replace a spring loaded clamp with a screw clamp because if you don't place the spring clamp exactly in the same position as was when you removed it, it'll leak. The Prestone kit also means I don't have to make or look around for a hose with two female ends bec

So what does Ken Wilfry recommend for letting the moroso ceramic engine seal dry overnight? Do I have to remove the shield and open the drain plug or can just drain it from above said coupling?

BTW, Moroso Ceramic Engine Seal is part number 35500 and can be found on the web for 10.95 (don't recall the website, but I searched under excite and yahoo and this shipper had a quick turn around for delivery to California)