Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 May 2002 10:00:31 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Warning:  Don't buy cheap exterior mirrors

> I just bought (and will be trying to send back) a cheap mirror for the > drivers side. It is the non-power kind. > > I paid 29$US for it from CIP. Pile o' junk. > > Made in Taiwan, plastic base, mirror threatenting to pop out of plastic > holder, entire assembly threatening to break off when I shut the door, > mirror vibrates alot when driving making it difficult to see what the > heck is behind you, and mirror glass that would rival those funky shape > changing mirrors in amusement parks. I can't think of one thing I could > do to it to make it worse; all the bases have been covered.

> A year ago I got 2 new VW Vanagon OEM mirrors from Bus > Depot for $26 each. Not bad and they are original > equipment that should last another 15 years

I still have the OEM German ones for $24.95. (Cheaper if your order is over $50 and you request your listmember discount.) They are far superior to the Taiwanese ones, and comparable to what came with your Vanagon. (They wholesale for more than twice the cost of the Taiwanese ones, so they should be better!) Also I have convex ones for $49, although supplies are a bit tight on them until our next shipment in about three weeks.

As most of you know, the major flaw with the stock mirrors is that they tend to get floppy over time, so eventually they flip inward in the wind while driving. The new German replacements, are, alas, no better in that particular regard - nor are any replacements that I've seen - so they, too, tend to get floppier with age. (Don't we all :-) As Markus has noted, you can remove the mirror and tighten the nut at the bottom of the base to tighten the joint back up. However, one warning I'll add, for those who have not done this before, is not to be too forceful when doing this. If you torque down too hard you can very easily snap the shaft. On the other hand, if your mirror is so floppy that it's useless anyway, you don't have much to lose. If you're careful you might get a little more use out of it. And if you snap it in the process, well you needed another mirror anyway, so you're no worse off than you were before.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. (215) 234-VWVW www.busdepot.com

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by Part # 1-866-BUS-DEPOT