Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 May 2002 14:44:40 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Bus Depot Shipping?...Was "order line?"
Comments: To: The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>

Ron, every order I've gotten from you has been seriously underpacked, and with heavy and light items all jumbled together. I'd suggest getting UPS to come out and demonstrate to your packing crew what their idea of adequate packing is so they'll have a reference. You probably won't want to go as far as they suggest, but there's a happy medium in there somewhere, and of all the vendors I deal with for any purpose (machinery, books, electronics, garden supplies, tools, car parts etc etc) Bus Depot is in a class by itself for bad packing (well, my sister is worse -- she sent a pair of fancy carved soapstone bookends with two sheets of tissue paper around them -- but she's not a vendor). This *has* to be costing you more money than you save by not packing stuff.

For possible interest, J&L Industrial (machinery, tools, industrial instruments and supplies) use a pretty neat system where they have air pillows -- just plastic bags full of air -- that they use to fill up boxes and keep the contents from moving around. They have also at times used a system where the pillow is built into the box, uninflated -- they pack the box, seal it, then inject air into the pillow from outside. They use strong boxes but don't take any pains to keep the contents away from the sides of the box, and their stuff almost always comes through in perfect shape. The only exception was when they -- guess what -- packed a Mitutoyo dial caliper in with about eight pounds of iron blocks, and the air pillow wasn't quite enough to keep the caliper box from getting cracked.

regds david

At 01:51 PM 5/3/2002, The Bus Depot wrote: >Phil, > >A new radiator is on its way to you via Priority Mail, and should be there >on Monday. > >The person who packed your order has been fired. There is no excuse for >putting heavy parts and a fragile radiator in the same box without any >packing material. My apologies. > >- Ron Salmon > The Bus Depot, Inc. > (215) 234-VWVW > www.busdepot.com > >_____________________________________________

-- David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"