Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 May 2002 22:19:26 -0400
From:         80 Westy Pokey <pokey@VANAGON.ORG>
Subject:      I just saved $300 on my alignment - Toronto owners stay away from
              Don Valley Volkswagen
Comments: To: type2@type2.com

I just bought six (yes two spares) brand new 215/65-15 Michelin Agilis 51's. To protect my investment I thought an aligment job would be a good idea, particulalrly because of the excessive wear on the inside tread of of one of my old tires.

Since I figured a Vanagon is a funny beast I thought just this once I would go to the dealer (Don Valley Volkswagen at Eglinton and the DVP). They would not quote me a price for alignment... here is the jist of the conversation:

DVV: We can't quote you a price but it will be between two and four hours at $90 an hour (ie: $180 to $360)

Me: Well how long does the shop manual say the job should be

DVV: One hour

Me: Then charge me an hour

DVV: But it probably will take longer

Me: If something like an alignment, or whatever takes 45 minutes and the shop manual says an hour and a half how much d you charge?

DVV: 1 1/2 hours

Me: So you do charge by the shop manual

DVV: That's our policy

Me: But not in this case

DVV: Not in this case

Me: Thank you goodbye

Now I wouldn't go there for everything but I decided to try Canadian Tire near my house (Church and Bloor). I was out the door for the standard $80. Great guys there too... Baksh (Pronounced "Bosch") did my tires and alignment and is an all around nice guy. His collegue Bill even tightened a clamp up on my exhaust... no charge.

Thanks, Chris