Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 May 2002 22:41:37 EDT
From:         Frank Grunthaner <FrankGRUN@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Power Antenna How To (No VendorWhining) Warning: Has Tech Content!

Frankly, I think Tom should demand a minimum age requirement for posting here. I suggest at least 18. As my mother used to say "Son, everyone gets wet in a pissing contest." Note for those with virgin ears, its a quote! Clearly this business thing is not for me. If a so-called customer dissed me in public, without giving me a chance to reply, I would never do business with him again. With the attacks he gets (probably self-induced with the misguided save the earth thing) on this list, I probably would have folded the caper and found a real day job.

But back to the issue at hand: Power antennas. (As I indicated in my warning header, this will be a factual discussion with no vendor aspersions or allocades. If this is disquieting, please exercise your delete key. Now!)

Welcome back.

Many years ago, when Joel was young, I was younger, and the freshly born list was in its first home and simply stuffed with technical discussion (as opposed to personal), he published a list of things he had done to his Vanagon. I was fascinated. I went outside stared at my faithful steed and realized that the stigma of newness had evaporated (along with the warranty and the deep psychological injunction against modifications). I stared at the GD retractable antenna. I flashed quickly through my charmed experiences diving through car washes to push it down, searching for the key to pull it up, noting the later hole in my pockets caused by that GD key on my key ring. Suddenly a flash of light and the long train of modifications was begun. (Actually, I had installed the auxiliary fuel tank before this point, but I personally had not pierced my steed's flanks. I paid the vet instead). That weekend, armed with Joel's model numbers and Brand pronouncements, I was off on my search.

Well it quickly resolved that I could locate nothing of which he spoke either in LA or on the internet (smaller place then. Gore was just getting started with his internet thoughts!). So I proceeded to study the problem (the sharp angle of the cowling). I removed the grill, then the driver's side headlight, then the antenna, I removed the locking components from the mast (plastic upper piece, cast pig metal lower piece) and went off to the variety of stereo shops in the LA basin. You know the obvious drill. Talk to counter person, refuse to tell him what vehicle you are going to use it on, then demand to see his power antennas, strip off the mounting bits and check my mounting hardware to see if it fit.

As it turned out, two antennas fit. One from Hirschmann (said custom made for the Volkswagen Vanagon on the side of the box) and one from Harada. The Harada unit was the MX-6B and the side of the box said custom made for: then listed Toyotas, Nissans, GM vehicles, etc, etc. The Harada was $54.95, the Hirschmann was $385. I scooped up the Harada box and was on my way. Confronting my noble steed, I soon realized that a modest amount of liposuction was to be required. I modified the access hole (top of headlight bay) to generate an oblong hole to let me pass the top of the stem through. Job essentially done. I wired the power leads as appropriate to my stereo radio (neat Concord unit I installed in Germany 42 hours after taking delivery). Sure enough, turn the radio on, the antenna goes up, turn it off and it goes down.

OK, all's well for many years until one or more members of a Neanderthaloid subspecies decided to abscond with my stereo system. Cutting the cables to the CD changer, everything else and the antenna lead. I tried to patch the damage ... build coax couplers etc. Aargh, I still had an alternator whine and intermittent signal strength. So last night I decided to again review the installation by removing the Harada. Today, I found that Pep Boy's still sells the MX-6B but now for $59.95. However, the antenna lead is not replaceable in this model. I found a universal kit by AntennaWorks in their Proline series that has a replaceable antenna lead for $69.95 at the LA chain Al & Ed's Autosound. Model number 44-PW22B. Just put it in. Works famously! Same deal as before. Used the mounting hardware from the VW original antenna, put it on this one and in it went. I also run a strut on the base to get the angle of the mast perpendicular to the roof within 1 or 2 seconds. $69.95. Worth it to me. Nothing difficult. Just have to realize that the simians don't have it in their catalog as fitting the Vanagon.

Hope this helps someone else.

Frank Grunthaner

BTW, Alistair Bell has reproduced Joel's original list on his website for the surfer-unimpaired among you one and all.