Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 4 May 2002 11:26:43 EDT
From:         Frank Grunthaner <FrankGRUN@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: diesel to gas conversion ongoing...WARNING!/2
Comments: To: dhundt@PCEZ.COM, vanagon@volkswagen.org

In a message dated 5/3/02 10:17:15 PM, dhundt@PCEZ.COM writes:

<< Now you've got me worried! My conversion is from an '83 gti, I'm wondering

if the pilot holes were year/model/engine code dependent. I have 290,000

miles on my tranny, 100k with the conversion, so it seems O.K.

but................. any insights? >>

I'll readily acknowledge that I don't know the answer here as to whether the pilot hole depth varies by engine code. According to my notes, the JN engine uses crank part number 026 105 101E, the GX, RD and PL engines use 026 105 021B, and the PF and RV engines use 026 105 101E again. I installed the RV engine. Frankly I didn't measure twice and cut once as David wisely and correctly admonishes. I merely inserted the pilot bearing and noticed no problem, then bolted everything up.

As I indicated in the previous post, I had had the 3/4 hub failure with the diesel and redid the trans about 20K before I did the gas conversion. I don't recall the actual time after the conversion until I lost the 3/4 hub again but it was at least several months. I was cursing my trans guy who kept assuring me that he used the latest and strongest parts in the rebuild. I insisted that this was a warranty call. Consequently, I stayed at the shop as he took down the trans. The front of the trans shaft (tip) was blue, with a ring at the tip that was polished. Plenty of good lubricant down in the hole. When he took it apart, the 3/4 hub was cracked, at least one syncro locking key was mulched, the bearing holding the gear cluster was damaged and a circlip holding the something in the front of the case was gone (broken and in the base of the case). As I recall, he assembled a jig or template (could have been an old differential housing) on the rear of the engine (using my bell housing and with input shaft) and showed me that the shaft was at least a mm too deep into the case. When everything cleared, I paid for the parts and he threw in his labor. I was chagrined, because the failure clearly seemed to be my responsibility. (To assuage my conscience, I have done all my trans work with him ever since.)

So that's my story.

Actually, not quite done. I just assumed that the problem here was that all the engines we are referring to here (JN, GX, RD, PL, PF and RV) are all designed for transverse mounting. Since there is no pilot bearing/shaft arrangement in this clutch/flywheel arrangement, I assumed the issue was just that of transverse vs. longitudinal mounting. I assumed that the pilot hole depth on my Audi 3A 2.0L block would be such that the diesel input shaft would fit. But now warned and burned, and intending to use the AC tranny for this one (plenty of power so I'm intending to put the torque max at top gear cruising speed) I measured and contacted Dave and others on the list for the crank pilot hole dimensions. Finally, I coated the cleaned interior of the crank pilot hole with a release agent and made a silicone gasket sealer mold of the interior. (I have the engine on an engine stand and couldn't easily measure everything - plus I was too lazy to demount and remount it). I have now carved the new input shaft to clear the base contour of that pilot hole by at least 1.5 mm everywhere.

To wit (David) the 3A hole was close but not the same as the diesel equivalent!

Your mileage will definitely vary!

Frank Grunthaner