Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 4 May 2002 23:06:16 -0400
From:         Mike Collum <collum@MFX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Heads, lifters,  the usual..

<snip> whether to remove the cylinder barrels and replace the lower o rings <snip>

Of course the final decision ... and the risk is yours .... no matter what the experience of others has been. That being said ....

When I replaced one head and resealed the other, one of the jugs had to be removed from the head "away" from the vehicle. Naturally, I replaced that one's lower O ring. The other jugs were disturbed slightly but I didn't replace the lower rings on them.

I have since made several round trips from northern Maine to southern Virginia which included summer and winter driving and no apparent problems or leaks from leaving the old O rings in place.

Mike '84 GL "Mongo" '85 Westy (Paid for but not yet picked up)