Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 5 May 2002 08:21:32 -0400
From:         Gary McEachern <glmce@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Warning: Don't buy cheap exterior mirrors

I've been able to save and keep from having to replace a number of "floppy" mirors on vanagons. I've had success fixing every original style VW mirror I've tackled! The problem with these mirrors is that the hex shaft on the tension bolt corrodes and siezes preventing the spring from allowing it to apply tension and hold the mirror in place.

To repair I've: (1.)removed the nut and spring (2.)liberally applied rust buster (3.)put the nut on flush with the top of the adj bolt (4.)gently tapped the head of the nut till it freed up and allowed me to disassemble it Once removed I used rust buster and a file to clean the flats on the shaft of the bolt so I could easily insert it. I then apply moly to the hex shaft and reassemble.

This has worked like a charm every time, even when I thought the mirror couldn't be saved. It's worth a few minutes to try as long as the glass is OK!

Gary

----Original Message Follows---- From: "Terry K." <CTONLINE@WEBTV.NET> Reply-To: "Terry K." <CTONLINE@WEBTV.NET> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Warning: Don't buy cheap exterior mirrors Date: Sat, 4 May 2002 23:12:29 -0500

Alan,

I have the same mirror's, and had the same exact problem's---

The fix was simple---

Remove the nut and washer, pull the lower male ball out, and with a hacksaw, or air cut off tool, cut grooves into the ball about 1/16th apart---do the same on the lower part of the upper section of the mirror----

Put it back together----add another washer, to the stud, so it will draw up a little tighter--and it's fixed-----

The little cuts in the male section's of the mirror will bite into the female section's preventing it from moving as easy-----

Simple fix----

Later,

Terry

E-mail message From Alan Pickersgil

I've had a number of different sets of mirrors of different designs. The last were the Bus Depot ones. I picked them up from the shop and on my way home to Canada -stooped a couple of times to tighten the bolt - prevent being blown back by the wind. I broke one - overtightened it and Ron at Bus Depot was good enough to replace it . They never really worked (would blow out of adjustment at high speed) until I created a clear plastic splint for them. Piece of appropriately sized clear plastic hose with white nylon? reinforcing threads in it, cut to a couple of inches in length. Slit open the hose and put it around the base of the mirrors arm and tighten it quite tight, once it is adjusted properly. Looks a bit home made but works really well. In my opinion the ball joint structure simply doesn't have enough surface area to withstand the pressure of the wind even when tightened to the threshold of breaking. If anyone is interested send me a message and I'll take pictures and send. Alan 85 Transporter converted to Westfalia. ----- Original Message -----

Markus---- Just a quick question---- If in fact, the mirror's won't draw up tight---- Why in the hell would you want to soak them in Liquid Wrench? This is not going to solve your problem--- it's going to make it all the worse---!! Later, Terry

E-mail message

Looks like I'll be trying to fix my old one, which I'd tightened as far as I could. Maybe a several day bath in Liquid Wrench will help the base become tightenable again. ...Markus

Gary McEachern, Reading Ma. '90 Westy '87GL Wolfy Weekender SubaVanagon '87 Syncro '91 Subaru Legacy Sedan '93 Subaru Legacy Wagon '76 Camper '75 Spitfire

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx