Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 May 2002 09:02:39 +0200
From:         Helmut Zeidler <Helmut.Zeidler@NOKIA.COM>
Subject:      Vanagon Production discontinued in South Africa

Yes, seems to be. I copied that text from a German VW-Bus forum. And I found some more information about:

> Dear All > > As you are aware, Bus will soon be coming to an end - June will see the > last T3 roll off our production line, and as predicted (by what we saw

> happen in Europe more than 10 years ago), the market is already squabbling > over the last precious units. > We've been making Busses for over 50 years now, and T3 Busses for 30 of > those. And whilst there'll be product to replace it in the marketplace

> (more notably T4 Caravelle and Sharan), the departure of Bus is not > without some sense of emotion - it has been said of the Bus that it is

> like a giant photo-album on wheels with space to carry memories of magic > moments with friends and family; and that it is as much a part of our > landscape as fynbos, acacia, and the rising smoke of boerewors braais - > indeed, the heritage of Bus has played a part in shaping the character of > the Volkswagen brand as it has come to represent much of the essence of > our Peoples Cars philosophy. > Following on from our 50-year celebrations and the re-interpretation of > our famous Memories ad in the form of Thanks Dad, the run-out of Bus > presents a pinnacle opportunity to muster those Volkswagen emotions and > evoke nostalgia as we celebrate the memories of this legendary Peoples

> Car. > In so doing, we hope to further leverage inherent emotional brand value > towards greater customer loyalty and endearment to the Volkswagen brand > (prior to the advance of fresh product communication later in the year). > > A David Kramer Bus TV ad again! > Over the next few weeks we will be flighting a new Kramer/Bus TV ad across > all major channels. In the ad, David Kramer (who remains inextricably > associated with Volksie Bus) plays a song that he recently wrote for an > old pal, and it goes something like this: > > "Dankie, I thank you ou pal, we got along so well > We've been down a long long road, we've got some stories to tell > All of the friend we've met, places we'll never forget > Miles and miles of happy young smiles, it's the goodbyes I regret > But who knows what lies around the bend > Oh I wish you good luck and a road with no end > Voerspoed and farewell Volksie ou pal > you will always be my friend" > > The ad is intercut with footage from classic Bus ads of yesteryear and

> should go a long way towards tugging at the heartstrings . First flighting > breaks 28/04/02 (TV tranplan available upon request). > > A collectors edition brochure > We have produced a final Bus brochure that takes the form of a limited

> [...]

Regards Helmut '80 Vanagaudi

Date: Sat, 4 May 2002 20:15:57 -0700 From: Mark Dorm <mark_hb@HOTMAIL.COM> Subject: Re: Vanagon Production discontinued in South Africa

What is this? A repro of a SA news article? Have they really stopped making them?

From: Helmut Zeidler <HELMUT.ZEIDLER@NOKIA.COM> Reply-To: Helmut.Zeidler@NOKIA.COM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Vanagon Production discontinued in South Africa Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 12:57:18 +0200

The VW Kombi - something of a South African cultural asset Mention the word "Kombi" to any South African over the age of thirty years and he (or she) will immediately know exactly what you are talking about: A Volkswagen bus with a rear-mounted engine and seating for eight or more passengers.