Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 May 2002 11:18:25 -0500
From:         Chris Mills <scmills@TNTECH.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Intermittent Wiper Relay Upgrade - Answer
Comments: To: The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>

Okay Ron - I'll bite. What would the cost be?

In VW's ETKA I am having trouble finding the part number even, let alone the part# progression.

So when you order it from your supplier can you put them on the spot and ask them point blank if the new relay is programmable?

I'll be looking around too. Wish we had more VW's in the junkyards around here.

At 10:53 AM 5/6/02 -0400, you wrote: > > Anyone got one for sale or giveaway? > > > > Golf's relay serial number is 357 955 531 > > > > Others part numbers maybe: 3B0 955 531 > > 1HM 955 531A > > (531B and C don't seem to be programmable!!!) > > Replace your windshield wiper relay (it's probably the taller white one > > with "271" stamped on the top) with this one, and it's done! > > > >A couple of years ago, a listmember posted the former part number, having >read it right off of his old relay (which was programmable). Someone >ordered one from me, and I sent him the relay that my distributor provided >under that number. He received it and it was not programmable. (This >resulting in the obligatory "Bus Depot sucks, they sent me the wrong part" >thread.) So I tried a different distributor and got the identical >non-programmable relay; both distributors adamantly insisted that the ones >they sent me crossreferenced to the ones I'd ordered. So the third time I >ordered one from VW themselves for more than twice the price, just to be >absolutely sure - and guess what - got another non-programmable one, for >twice the price! > >It turned out that VW had superceded all three of the above numbers to the >same relay - and it was not programmable. If you look it up in the >reference book that the VW dealers use, you can actually follow the trail. >The 357 relay supercedes to the 1HM relay, which supercedes to a 1HM 955 >531B, which supercedes to the 3BO relay. > >Of course, that was about two years ago. It's always possible that VW has >gone full-circle and is once again shipping programmable ones, but I >wouldn't count on it. If anyone feels lucky and decides to give it a try, >I'd definately recommend checking on the store's return policy first (as >many stores will not take back electrical items once installed). The other >possibility would be to find a retailer with old inventory (predating the >supercision) but that would be even less of a sure thing since it has been >several years. > >- Ron Salmon > The Bus Depot, Inc. > (215) 234-VWVW > www.busdepot.com > >_____________________________________________ >Toll-Free for Orders by Part # 1-866-BUS-DEPOT

Ciao!

Chris Mills Cookeville, Tennessee ICQ# 5944649