Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 May 2002 12:10:00 -0700
From:         phil stanhope <napszeerf@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Side view mirrors, was: cheap exterior mirrors and pet peeves

Thanks for the info Steve, I didnt know the proper way to set the mirrors on a BIG bus(I just got my Commercial Carrier license a year ago) and your right, the Westy's rear view mirror is useless, but not for long, i plan to move it down a bit, after hearing some older posts.

By the way I think you just proved my theory that tour bus drivers, RV'rs, etc. who enjoy driving buses would ALSO enjoy the Vanagon becouse it turns just like a miniature tour bus am I wrong?

Phil ***84' Westy Tiico "Millenium Falcon"

My Vanagon turns on a dime, sharper than a Honda Civic hatchback!

--- Steve Sullivan <steveis@SPEAKEASY.ORG> wrote: > Don't want to start an argument (been enough of that > lately), but here's a > tidbit to lend perspective (otherwise known as my > pet peeve): > > As a professional tour bus driver (and driver > trainer) at one time, we > learned the proper way to adjust mirrors on a > motorcoach. The short of it is > that about the center of the mirror is aimed exactly > where the road horizon > hits the side of the coach, giving almost only rear > vision. The same is > true, I'm sure, for semis. Remember, there is no > interior rear view mirror > possible. So that's how you check traffic behind > you, and to the sides near > the rear. > > When driving a bus, IT'S IMPOSSIBLE to look "over > your shoulder" and see who > is beside you, so you're supposed to always pay > attention (which no one in a > car does or there'd be vastly less accidents) and > always know the traffic > pattern around you, ie, where every car is. Not as > hard as it sounds, and it > becomes second nature. But for safety, all newer > coaches have very convex > mirrors that show (very tiny) the entire side of the > coach and lane beside > you. But it's easy to miss a car in that tiny > mirror, so it's still > important to see in your mind where everything is. > Incidentally, those > mirrors are used for corners and lane placement as > much or more than for > traffic control. > > In my cars I use my mirrors the same way, keep track > of traffic, and only > look over my shoulder (which I do every time I lane > change) as a > verification of what I already know, NOT to see > what's there. Because > accident statistics say that it's too easy to > overlook a car, it really is. > And that's when you're paying attention. In my > vanagon, I mounted a tiny > rectangular convex mirror horizontally to help see > side traffic. > > One last detail, at the company where I drove, the > blind spot was never an > excuse for having an accident. The whole side of the > coach is a blind spot. > You were never excused for hitting something else > because you were always, > always, always, expected to know what was around > you, and "if in doubt, > don't." This included being rear ended, because you > most likely contributed > in some manner and are expected to avoid accidents. > If only car drivers > would take a little responsibility too, but that's > anti-American, Bill of > Got-mine-and-screw-you Rights without > Responsibilities. > > Anyway, off the subject. Ahem. If you aim your > mirrors to the side of your > van, how will you see what's behind you? Your > internal rear view does a piss > poor job of showing you the entire picture. That's > why your "side view" > mirrors are actually called "rear view" mirrors. > That's why your neck is > designed to swivel. > > Steve > > > > On 5/6/02 7:06 AM "G. Matthew Bulley" > <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM> said: > > > Bill wrote: "By the way, how many people out there > have their side > > mirrors aimed to > > the rear, just like the rear view mirror?" > > > > You aren't alone in this peeve.=20