Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 May 2002 22:19:46 +0200
From:         Robert Steven Fish <fish@SALZBURG.CO.AT>
Subject:      Re: weird idle...
Comments: To: MDC Vanagon <vanagon@SPEAKEASY.ORG>

Hi,

I went through this last year, and it was truly a PITA. Many of us, myself included, enjoy locating odd and obscure replacement parts for our Vanagons, and spending hundreds of dollars on them... it is how we show our Vanagons that we truly love them.

I was tracking this problem down, as it finally became a real nusiance, idling at 2500 quite often... and in city traffic in the summer, this means heat!!!

I found that I could pull the idle back down by disconnecting the Idle Stabilizor Unit on top of the air intake manifold, in front of the throttle linkage... this seemed like a good place to start. I found one on eBay, and replaced... no dice. I researched it a bit more and learned that the Idle Stabilizer Control Unit (hidden behind the passenger side tail light housing) is also to be looked at as well as the infamous Air Flow Meter (AFM) which is that huge monster that your air filter sits in. (I later determined that I could also get the idle down by disconnecting the AFM... hmmm)

Long story short... I replaced them all... got great used parts (from NotaJeep) ... was really happy... while I was at it, I decided to remove my factory A/C as it had not worked in years, and I never use it. I removed the compressor pump, and right beneath it, sandwiched between the compressor and the engine I saw a nasty green powdery looking braided cable... the main ground strap which connects the engine block to the chassis. Mine was dust... literally, it disappeared in my fingers like dust.

I cleaned all the contact areas up, and got myself a nice hunk of 1/2 inch Monster speaker cable, and created my own ground cable.

Ever since, the strange intermittent high idle has been gone completely, and she runs like a champ.

The problem is, that I replaced many parts all together, so I still have no idea what it REALLY was... could have been the AFM too... but the ECU needs to send signals to all of these idle control parts, and if the ground is not good, then the ECU goes a bit crazy and either runs in closed-loop, or screwy signals end up getting sent back and forth, screwing things up... like your idle speed. There are also grounds to check between the tranny and the frame, and of course at the battery.

I hope that this long winded post helps you... please pmail me when you find out the true cause of your weird idle.

See ya on the list,

RSF

Robert S. Fish Salzburg, Austria 1987 Wolfsburg Vanagon 2.1 GL Weekender 1987 Golf Cabriolet 1991 Golf

----- Original Message ----- From: "MDC Vanagon" <vanagon@SPEAKEASY.ORG> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, May 06, 2002 8:59 PM Subject: weird idle...