Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 May 2002 16:39:32 -0700
From:         Brent Christensen <sbsyncro@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Tennessee from a Californian's perpective (was Bus Depot and
              debate for Californians)
Comments: To: Chris Mills <scmills@TNTECH.EDU>

= Very little Vanagon content =

I had the wonderful opportunity to drive home (to Santa Barbara, CA) from Atlanta on September 12 last year in a rental car. For my first time, I traveled through the "middle" of our fantastic country. I have to say that some of the most beautful country I have ever driven through was around Chattanooga, TN. Needing some basics for the journey, I stopped at a Wal-Mart out in the boonies (I only had two suits with me). I even brought home a nifty camouflage tank-top t-shirt and a Johnny Cash CD as souvenirs (both evidently very popular in Tennessee, judging by their vicinity to the check stand). What a disappointment to find out, however, that the Jack Daniels distillery is located in a DRY COUNTY! No tasting room! :-(

I must also say that Kansas is highly underrated, at least the eastern portion of the state. Contrary to most perceptions, it is a beautiful, scenic place full of gently rolling hills and boundless vistas of open sky. I did get sick of eating at Cracker Barrel restaurants, though, and the scenery took a serious turn for the boring as I approached the Colorado state line. I also stopped at a winery in Kansas; they were very proud of the fact that out of the three wineries in Kansas, they were the *only* one that produced all of their own grapes. I bought bottles of "Spagetti Red", "Prarie Sunset", and a nifty "Eiswein" (ice wine) as gifts for my wine afficionado (aka wine snob) friends back home. I haven't opened any - I plan to keep them as reminders of that cross country journey, which will probably stay with me for a long time.

Despite my wonderfully bizarre rental car (a Pontiac Aztek, as luck would have it), I did find myself really LONGING for my Westy and a week or two of free time to really enjoy the trip. I spent the first "night" (about three hours) at a motel in Columbia, MO, the next in Beaver, UT (about 4 hours) and then made it home the following day. It was amazing how as I got closer to the west, the "buzz" at the roadside restaurants gradually changed. The mood became more anxious and the motels with available rooms became very scarce. The population density and the vast migration of the people that had been "trapped" out west made it almost impossible to find a place to stay (which explains why I had to go all the way to "Beaver" to get a room at around 4:00 in the morning.) I tried to sleep in the back seat of the Aztek, but without any blankets or a jacket, and an outside temperature of about 40 degrees, I could only nap for a few minutes before the chill settled into the car. I dreamed of my Westy, with the blankets and spare jacket in the closet!

Ever since that trip, I have found a new appreciation for both the people and places that I used to refer to as "Fly-over country", and my VW Vanagon Camper.

Brent Christensen '89 GL Syncro Westy "Klaus" Santa Barbara, CA

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Mills" <scmills@TNTECH.EDU> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, May 06, 2002 3:32 PM Subject: Re: Bus Depot and debate for Californians