Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 7 May 2002 08:12:28 -0400
From:         Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Ignition Lock...not switch
Comments: To: Bob Stevens <mtbiker62@HOTMAIL.COM>

Bob, you are very correct. You must drill a hole right where the spring is and then use a nail or something to depress the spring and then you can pull the lock out. I have done this tons of times (I keep a spare ignition switch and key in my tool box in case I get a junker van with no key. 2 mins worth of removing plastic covers and drilling and you have a van that you can start and drive without breaking anything!) The Jetta Bentley has a really nice picture of this with measurements and everything of where to drill (the ignition housings are identical to the van). Hope this helps.

Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 http://www.vanagain.com Phone: (856)-327-4936 Fax: (856)-327-2242

After consulting the archives it appears the way to remove the ign. lock from the cast housing is to drill a small hole in approximately the area where the flat spring is located on the cylinder/lock. I have the new lock cylinder so it's pretty easy to estimate where to drill by holding it up to the lock housing when it's out, which appears to be on top of it. Is this correct? Anyone done this? By the way, getting that plastick shim/spacer off the steering column was the most time consuming of all when trying to get at the switch/lock. Funny thing, my radio is now not coming on right away unless I jiggle the key in the lock cylinder. Any help appreciated. Bob

Happy is he who bears a god within. -- Louis Pasteur http://communities.msn.com/BobsPhotoShare