Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 7 May 2002 13:22:59 -0500
From:         Chris Mills <scmills@TNTECH.EDU>
Subject:      Re: The truth about Florida--Love Bugs
Comments: To: Bill N <freeholder@STARBAND.NET>

And don't forget about the summer 4:15 PM rains that last for exactly 15 minutes. You could set you watch with them.

I was stationed in Orlando for my first year or so of the Navy. I haven't been back since 1991. May have to go this summer...

We stayed away from the tourist areas and had a good, economical time.

One small joy was a $5 pizza eaten while sitting at the curb outside the pizzeria with a couple good friends on Friday nights before returning to the base and more study time (Nuke Propulsion school).

At 09:56 AM 5/7/02 -0700, you wrote: >I lived in Florida for a year. I spent the first 6 months on the northern >tip on Pine Island >in an old house (widow's walk and all) right on the ocean, and the next 6 >months in Cape Coral. >There were a lot of insects, so I got a field guide and studied >them. Ditto for the reptiles. >Very interesting place. I went fishing and crabbing a lot. Picked all >the oranges I could eat >from the 5 acres of old trees I owned. Did you know that the blossom end >(away from the stem) >is sweeter? We would cut them in half and throw the stem end away. > >Spent a lot of time in the everglades. We once counted 134 alligators in >a 30 mile drive. We >added an awful lot of birds to our life list. > >Yes, there are a lot of snowbirds and upper east coast people there, but >they didn't go to the >same places we liked. Slog out into the everglades a ways and you won't >see many motorhomes. >The weather? Hot in the summer, but actually not much worse than Northern >Illinois, where I >grew up. Washington DC is about identical in the summer. > >Yes, you can step on a jellyfish or ray -- if you aren't careful. Where I >live now, there are >black widows under every other rock (literally), and giant centipedes (up >to 8 inches) that >have a very painful bite. There are also scorpions, gila monsters, coral >snakes, and 15 >species of rattlesnake. None have ever got me yet. You learn to look >under stuff before you >pick it up. > >I went back a couple of years ago. We put a new AVP engine in our '81 >Westy and wanted to take >it out for a test drive (we put about 800 miles on it first). We took two >weeks and went to >Key West. I still liked Florida. There are still a lot of wild areas and >beaches with nobody >else on them. Look around. Rolling across 7 mile bridge with everything >you need right in >your VW is a great feeling. It doesn't get much better. We camped on Big >Pine Key (in the >"primitive area" of the campground -- water, but no electric or sewer, so >no motorhomes. Key >deer were in our camp most of the time. Some great places to hike. All >in all, don't believe >all the negative stuff too much. Sure, Florida has some lousy places, but >so does everywhere >else. Not bad overall. > >Bill

Chris M. <Busbodger - "TEAM SLOWPOKE"> Cookeville, Tennessee

ICQ# 5944649 scm9985@tntech.edu

'78 VW Westfalia (67 HP -> that is...67 Hamster Power) '65 Beetle - Type IV powered '99 CR-V AWD station wagon '81 CB900 Custom moto-chickle 2.5 Corvair engines for my Trans-vair Conversion