Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 May 2002 23:14:08 -0500
From:         John Clavin <jc@AUSTIN.RR.COM>
Subject:      Re: A damn OS question again, yea!!! now i need some help,
              it's my turn....

At 02:12 PM 5/7/02 -0400, you wrote: >I have two problems with this; first, you really cannot tell this with a >regular meter that takes 2-3 readings a second -- the ECU changes the >mixture on its own schedule that does not correspond to the averaging time >of the meter. If you want to know what the actual values are you have to >use a scope. Second, the feedback loop between the O2 sensor and ECU is >very simple: if the ECU sees > 500 mV it leans the mixture; if it sees < >500 mV it richens the mixture. It does not attempt to hold exactly at the >500 mV mark but rather is constantly flipping back and forth past it, >therefore the mixture is constantly going from *very* slightly lean to >*very* slightly rich and back.

David,

I have been trying to puzzle out exactly what is happening in the ECU-O2 sensor loop for some time now. Do you have any idea as to the frequency at which the ECU attempts corrections? Recognizing that it is an electronic device, it is inherently capable of updating the fuel injector pulse width faster than the engine can respond. So it seems to make sense that the ECU not change the fuel pulse width quicker than, say, once every N rpm, where B is possibly as low as 1 rpm. Or does it?

The reason I ask, is that I see some inconsistent readings from my O2 sensor which I think might be caused by the DVM sample rate and ECU update rate synchronizing or beating together for an interval. For example, at times I see something pretty close to the expected crossovers, something like H-H-L-H-L-L-H-L-H-H-L (where H>.5v and L<.5v). But other times, the readings seem to tend to the high side and run more like H-H-H-L-H-H-H-H-H-H-L-H-H-H-L. The latter suggests that the ECU really is updating to keep swinging back and forth over the crossover point, but that the DVM's sample rate is running at, say, half the ECU rate, so only catching the readings on the high side.

At first, I attributed this to the sampling rate/clock rate differences. But more recently, I have suspected that the latter readings are indicative of a problem. First, it seems that I see more readings biased to the high side, than the low. I almost never see L-L-L-H-L-L-L-L-L-L-H-L during normal cruise or idling. Second, I see the bias to the high side mostly when I have been cruising a while at 50+ mph. In some cases it seems to have been followed by a bout of hesitation/coughing behavior. I am not convinced as yet, however, that it is not just a coincidence or my imagination.

I would like to catch this on a scope as you suggest. Unfortunately, I can only do that in my garage, where not much exciting ever happens ECU or O2-wise.

John