Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 May 2002 12:19:30 -0400
From:         Robert Donalds <bostneng@FCL-US.NET>
Subject:      Re: 1.9 rebuild questions (almost done)
Comments: cc: buffy-philip1@COX.NET

Each engine I build is tested before it leaves the assembly stand. I check compression and oil pressure using a section of bell housing and a starter motor. The engine is spun with no spark plugs and the compression is consistently right around 140 150 psi for both the 1.9 and the 2.1 engines. Yes they have different compression ratios but they also have different camshafts and that affects the reading as well. The oil pressure when cranking is is 50 to 60 pounds and the bounce of the gauge I observe is the pressure relief plunger bleeding off pressure. If your numbers are low and you feel its not the gauge then I would conclude that the valves have been preloaded when you assembled the engine. The preloading would also account for some of the poor idle. I would not expect the cranking compression reading to increase over time. You should see the oil consumption and crank case pressure will drop when the rings seat.

Bob Donalds http://www.bostonengine.com all rights reserved Philip wrote