Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 May 2002 15:31:19 -0400
From:         Kenneth Lewis <kdlewis@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: 91 Vanagon idle problems
Comments: To: gritis@ATTGLOBAL.NET

Karen; The first thing that jumped to mind is a vacuum leak. On this engine it is relatively easy to trouble shoot. Three possible places are the big rubber boot that connects the AFM and throttle body, the small hoses(which there are only a few) and the crankcase ventilation. I would first pinch off the hose going to the ICV (after the engine warms up) and see if matters improve. I belive this is the circuit used to compensate for the extra load of the A/C. If something like the dipstick is left unseated, too much air is drawn in there.

Good Luck and Drive Safely Ken Lewis 86 Crewcab,60 356 http://Neksiwel.20m.com/

On Thu, 9 May 2002 10:23:32 -0400 Karen Gritis <gritis@ATTGLOBAL.NET> writes: > Help! > > My vanagon had a new engine put in about 6 weeks ago after I threw > a > rod. It hasn't run right since. Idle speed was really low when I > first > picked it up, but I thought it was just an adjustment that I needed > to > get it back to the shop for. Well, then when I turned the A/C on > for > the first time all hell broke loose as I wrote you guys and gals > before. RPMs went all over the place, revving very high and > refusing to > die, even when the ignition was turned off. My thanks to all the > list > members who took the time to explain the ICV and ISM to me and to > point > me in the right drection. > > Took it back to the shop. They found a loose wire between the Idle > Stabilizer Module and the engine and supposedly fixed the problem. > On > the way home it did the revving thing again twice and wouldn't allow > me > to turn it off. Took it back to the shop. They can't duplicate > the > problem so don't know what the fix is. Both days that I had such > problems were 90 degree days and I had run the A/C, we haven't had > such > weather since, could this be an issue? I still don't have any > trust > that this issue is resolved. > > So now, I noticed that it's running rich and rough. Took it back to > the > shop, they checked the O2 sensor, the ECU, the AFM and who knows > whatall. They found that it was running on 3 cylinders. After > disconnecting and reconnecting and moving things around and checking > the > compression a couple of times, they told me they don't know what > they > did, but that the problem is fixed and the compression is at 120 on > all > four. > > My husband picked it up last night and says that on the way home > that > the RPMs would go so low that the oil light would come on. I drove > it > today and don't see any of that, although it seems to be running > loudly > and somewhat unevenly. > > What is going on? Anybody know? Failing that, does anybody have a > shop > that they feel is knowledgable and trustworthy in the DC/Northern > Virginia area? I thought I had both, but I'm beginning to wonder. > > Thanks, > Karen >