Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 May 2002 20:35:03 -0500
From:         Chris Mills <scmills@TNTECH.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Tennessee from a Californian's perpective (was Bus Depot and
              debate for Californians)
Comments: To: Brent Christensen <sbsyncro@HOTMAIL.COM>

>I had the wonderful opportunity to drive home (to Santa Barbara, CA) from >Atlanta on September 12 last year in a rental car. For my first time, I >traveled through the "middle" of our fantastic country. I have to say that >some of the most beautful country I have ever driven through was around >Chattanooga, TN.

I grew up outside Chattanooga. It's got it's short comings but for a city it is alright. I still prefer a smaller town though. 6 years in the Navy took me to live in Orlando, Norfolk, San Antonio, and Naples (IT). I got pelenty of time in million person+ cities. Chattanooga isn't a million person+ city.

>Needing some basics for the journey, I stopped at a Wal-Mart out in the >boonies (I only had two suits with me). I even brought home a nifty >camouflage tank-top t-shirt and a Johnny Cash CD as souvenirs >(both evidently very popular in Tennessee, judging by their vicinity to >the check stand). What a disappointment to find out, however, that the >Jack Daniels distillery is located in a DRY COUNTY! No tasting room! :-(

You're in the south boy! <grin!> Rednecks everywhere here. For me there are two categories - country folk and rednecks. I'll give you two guesses about who I would prefer to spend time with and it doesn't start with an 'R'. I love the country/boonies/hollers/woods (despite the fact that I am for all intensive purposes a city boy). I don't care for modern country music, cowboy hats or pickups but I guess they all have their place. Modern Country Music is a factory product these days and the folks most commonly found singing it grew up under the poor circumstances they sing about just like me - poor sharecroppers sons and daughters. Yeah - right!!! Plenty of folks here trying to ACT like they're country too. All image and no substance.

I don't take any of it too seriously and most folks I know get a chuckle out of it... <grin>

We live in a dry county. What a joke. You can go to a dozen restaurants and get a drink of liquor but you can't buy a bottle without the 25 minute trip to the next county. I don't miss seeing the liquor stores though. We just plan ahead and buy our spirits in Chattanooga when we travel there to visit family. Always somebody passing laws to ensure your moral standards. I don't care much about the liquor but I wish we could get a bottle of wine from time to time to go with dinner. We get it during the day and stay away from the little highway leading to Jackson county on weekend evenings because the road is often driven by half-sloshed folks going back for another bottle....

>I must also say that Kansas is highly underrated, at least the eastern >portion of the state. Contrary to most perceptions, it is a beautiful, >scenic place full of gently rolling hills and boundless vistas of open sky.

I only hear about the miles of flat corn country. Still would like to see it.

>I did get sick of eating at Cracker Barrel restaurants, though,

Is that possible??? <Grin> Next time try the oldest looking little diner you can find. Usually you'll find good food and at a good price served by good people. It's a good chance to see a fading piece of America under siege by the fast food franchises and their customers. Cracker Barrel is good. The selection is limited after a few dozen visits. They are just cashing in on the country image too. Tastes good most of the time I think.

>and the >scenery took a serious turn for the boring as I approached the Colorado >state line. I also stopped at a winery in Kansas; they were very proud of >the fact that out of the three wineries in Kansas, they were the *only* one >that produced all of their own grapes. I bought bottles of "Spagetti Red", >"Prarie Sunset", and a nifty "Eiswein" (ice wine) as gifts for my wine >afficionado (aka wine snob) friends back home. I haven't opened any - I >plan to keep them as reminders of that cross country journey, which will >probably stay with me for a long time.

I thought Colorado was suppose to be scenic and Kansas boring... Tennessee has many little wineries as well. One about 30 miles from here imports their grapes from CA but does the rest locally. Very good table wines.

>Despite my wonderfully bizarre rental car (a Pontiac Aztek, as luck would >have it), I did find myself really LONGING for my Westy and a week or two of >free time to really enjoy the trip.

At least nobody would steal your Aztek. I hear that they are pretty nice though if you can keep your eyes closed.

>I spent the first "night" (about three >hours) at a motel in Columbia, MO, the next in Beaver, UT (about 4 hours) >and then made it home the following day. It was amazing how as I got closer >to the west, the "buzz" at the roadside restaurants gradually changed. The >mood became more anxious and the motels with available rooms became very >scarce. The population density and the vast migration of the people that >had been "trapped" out west made it almost impossible to find a place to >stay (which explains why I had to go all the way to "Beaver" to get a room >at around 4:00 in the morning.) I tried to sleep in the back seat of the >Aztek, but without any blankets or a jacket, and an outside temperature of >about 40 degrees, I could only nap for a few minutes before the chill >settled into the car. I dreamed of my Westy, with the blankets and spare >jacket in the closet! > >Ever since that trip, I have found a new appreciation for both the people >and places that I used to refer to as "Fly-over country", and my VW Vanagon >Camper.

I wan to make a similar trek someday in our Westy or on my motorcycle (I'd prefer the Westy). Slow and random - choosing direction with the persuasion of the wind.

Enjoyed your trip report Brent. If you ever make it through again look us up (we are on the AIRS list) and we'll go get dinner someplace other than Cracker Barrel... Ciao!

Chris Mills Cookeville, Tennessee ICQ# 5944649