Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 May 2002 23:35:01 -0700
From:         DaveC <voicebox@DNAI.COM>
Subject:      Tire sizes and weight rates (was: Tires Michelin Agilis vs LTX
              M/S)

Are C weight rated tires OK on a non-westy Vanagon?

What's the largest 15 inch tire you can put on a post-85 Vanagon (non-carat body)? (Please no guesses -- who's doing this?)

Thanks, Dave

-=-=-=-

>I'm sure the D rating has to be a heavier duty tire than the C >rating---- > >I believe its the way the steel cord's are woven that make's a big >difference--- > >I went to Costco last wekend and their brand X tire's were more than the >Yoko's, and were only C rated--- > >I don't know how many miles the Yoko 356 D's-- 185's that are presently >on the Van have--but it's due--and I ordered them from Discount >tire---and they matched Tire racks price of $61.00, and their store is 3 >blocks from me---so no big deal for getting them mounted and balanced-- > >I like what's on the Van now----I just went up one size----I wanted >225's, but the tire isn't available in that size---so 195's will have to >do---- > >Yep--I like them much better than Florida--- > >Have you ever heard of Armstrong tire's? > >I think they are kaput---but I had several vehicle's with them on --and >I'll tell you they were the best tire's for ride, milage, and all >weather handling I have ever had---- >The Yoko's are second to them--- > >I just can't locate them anymore--- > > >Later, > >Terry > > >E-mail message > >That's funny you should say that cause I just saw >http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare1.jsp?startIndex=0&vehicleSearch=true&width=185%2F&ratio=0&diameter=14&sortCode=34200&minSpeedRating=R&ratio=&width=185%2F&diameter=14&minLoad=Reinforced&search=true&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&manufacturer=Continental&manufacturer=Michelin&manufacturer=Yokohama >and I was noticing there are three different yokohama options of the Y >356: >C, C with RBL, and D (where RBL is raised black lettering). >And then I noticed the big price difference between them and the >Michelin Agilis... >So you like them better than Florida? I wonder if the D have a tighter >turn than the C?

-- Dave Carpenter

Whatever you wish for me, May you have twice as much.

"Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not. In either case the idea is quite staggering." -- Arthur C. Clarke