Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 May 2002 22:30:40 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: the term "barndoor" bus... & Split door options

>Chris is absolutely correct. For reference see Laurence Meredith's Original >VW Bus which is a pretty comprehensive guide to Volkswagen Transporters >1950-1979. As a member of NEATO and collector of pre '68 buses, I was >educated by my brethren years ago that the engine lid is the reason for the >name Barndoor although many people commonly believe that the side doors was >the reason for the name Barndoor. Two other distinguishing features of the >Barndoor is the single pod dash (except for the deluxe models) and the >unvented brow on the split window bus where in 1956 the overhead airvent was >added. Post '55 Buses are not known as barndoors although the vast majority >of these retained the two large side doors.

A rare option on the 1966-67 Splits was the sliding door (to which VW holds the patents) instead of the horrible hinged double doors, which tend to uncurl so the don't anything LIKE shut flush, and also split across the middle.

Not sure when walkthrough became available, but at least the later Splits had the option available.

[Gee... a stock-bodied 67 Split Samba (21-window) slider/walkthrough with G50 trans, Subaru power and CV-jointed rear-end... YUM!!]

Split Sambas (23-windows) at least as early as 1951 had a full-width dashboard with Split Bug/Kubelwagen instrument panel and a big clock in a similarly-shaped insert on the passenger side, with another similar insert in the center containing a radio/speaker. -- Andrew Grebneff 165 Evans St, Dunedin 9001, New Zealand <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> Seashell, Macintosh, VW/Toyota van nut