Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 May 2002 00:00:27 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tires Michelin Agilis vs LTX M/S
Comments: To: mark_hb@hotmail.com

I've been running Michelin 61s 185x14, the recommended tire size for my 83 Westfalia.(5300 pounds) I'd think that with lighter weight Vanagons 2900/3200 pounds that the 51s would be OK. I'm pleased with the 61s since I've got about 8k on them and they are not showing any wear on the 5000 mile rotation. I find that the stiff sidewall makes the tires a little noisy on expansion joints but keep the sway and wind wash down to a minimum. There are probably other tires that are just as good or possibly even better but I think I'd buy the Agilis a second time if they continue to be as good as they have been so far. Some folks have found tires at CostCo that are comparable in the C & D rating at a lower price and there are other that want a more aggressive tire for Snow, Rain and Off Road that have found the more suitable tires for their needs. I often go off road on camping trips and all previous Michelin tires separated at about 10K. I'm talking about new tires that met the specifications of minimum inflation and weight capacity.

Stan Wilder 83 Air Cooled Westfalia

On Thu, 9 May 2002 21:39:42 -0700 Mark Dorm <mark_hb@HOTMAIL.COM> writes: http://tires.michelin-us.com/mastapp/servlet/Controller/site.catalog.Resu lts?vehicletype=templatedata%2Fcatalog%2Fvehicle_type%2Fdata%2FTruckandVa n&wheelsize=any&specificuse=any&vehicletypename=truck%2Fvan&wheelsizename =any&specificusename=any&flag=1

This Michelin site is ranking the LTX M/S better than the Agilis. And note that when you search under size 14 inch wheels, only the LTX M/S pops up, and when you type in 15 inch wheels, LTX M/S, other LTX's, and Agilis pops up. I almost ordered Agilis and I was told it would be a two month wait, so I didn't buy anything. Note that Vanagon.com tire page mentions the Agilis 81 but not the 61, this is a mix up isn't it? The 61 is made for the Vanagon, the 81 exceeds Vanagon specs, and made Frank of Stebro unhappy, though he had bad u-joints..., some other guy said he had 81's and he liked 'em.

Anyway, aren't the LTX M/S under-weighted for our vans? This current version of Michelins site doesn't make this an easy answer. There are more specs that don't mean anything to me than there are stars in the heavens.