Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 May 2002 13:41:25 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: trip
Comments: To: mike <mwmiller@cwnet.com>

At 10:08 AM 5/10/2002, mike wrote: >Business, book tour with an author as a helper. >NYC

Kewl, best of British luck. Call if you need anything.

Some thoughts. You won't have time for all of them before you go, but worth considering, and can do things along the way as convenient:

On our honeymoon, second day out we made our first mod to the van -- stuck a paper-towel holder onto the face of the overhead shelf aft of the stove. A bicycle clip keeps the end from blowing around. Big sigh of relief all around.

If you haven't already, grab a little tent or maybe two -- You can either sleep one or toss your gear in it, and either way it helps. They pack up in a shoebox-size stuff sack.

Ditto a Porta-Potti (the smallest --Thetford model 135 or similar). Works great, discreet to use, doesn't stink when its closed, makes a nice auxiliary seat/foot rest. You can store sewage until it's full, and it's made so you can carry the tank off separately to dump it -- carrying handle, folding spout and all. The blue chemical with formaldehyde in it is nasty by itself, but it works a treat. Dunno about the "green" ones. These are "real" chemical toilets that flush, not just bags-on-a-frame for emergency use. Ours cost ?$75? a few years ago. We stow it just behind the passenger seat -- if not all the way forward it can roll over on sudden braking (no mess, but still).

Finger foam -- a bed-size piece will store doubled-over under the rear cushion. Makes sleeping almost luxurious for those older bones...

Keep the bigger table stowed upside down at the rear of the upper berth -- pad the stem if you care about it mussing up the mouse fur. Keep the smaller table on the after arm -- it's ready to use and easy to switch if you want the big one. The forward arm makes a nice place to hang a plastic bag (the kind with handle-holes) for a trashbag. Without the table on it, lies nicely aft along the cabinet front but reachable by driver and passenger.

If your closet door doesn't clear the table (and you aren't in love with the mirror) just leave the door home. Works great without the door, no huhu.

The front table is good keyboard height for the swivel seat if you shorten the arm ?about 3 inches? I kept the cut-off piece in case I wanted to restore original, but

A piece of carpet to cover the floor -- takes all the beating. Also a couple strips for doormats, kneelers, whatever. If they get messy and you don't want to deal, toss in nearest dumpster and get another.

A Black and Decker Super Car-Vac (something like that) -- it's a 12-v DustBuster *with a power brush that sticks on the front.* Got good suck, and the beater brush will bring up stuff that will amaze you. Without the beater these things are basically useless. The B&D one is the best I've seen but anything with a beater will be a great help.

A small (150-watt) inverter with an extension cord and a spring-clamp gooseneck lamp with a Compact Fluorescent bulb are great for making the light the way you want it. We found an 11-watt lamp that's a PAR (Parabolic Aluminized Reflector), like an outdoor floodlight) that works great, but others should do fine. Clip high for overall light, nearby for solo reading. Also charges/runs laptops etc. A one-into-three cigarette lighter adapter very handy (I've put a triple outlet right by the front table leg, but you haven't time for that.

12-v tire pump. We got a nice sturdy Chinese one for about $15 at a local outlet (I know it's sturdy because I looked inside -- unfortunately you won't be able to). Lets you run with a slow leak and makes it practical to let air out if you get into an iffy traction situation. A gauge on the pressure line is worth $$ in convenience -- ours reads 4# high but we know that.

Victor Truck-tire repair kit -- Tee-handle rasp, tee-handle inserting needle, tube of rubber cement and half a dozen sticky-stringy inserts. You rasp out the hole, then butter the hole with cement. Stick an insert sideways through the needle, butter it with cement, shove the needle into the hole (insert doubles up) and yank the needle out. Insert stays put. Wait a minute, cut off the sticking-out part, pump up and go. I've fixed at least a dozen tires this way, never heard of one failing even after many thousands of miles. They make a lesser one that has screwdriver handles instead of tee-handles -- works fine, but a lot of strain on your hand using the rasp. Only a few bucks either way. Easy way to be a hero, to your own crowd or folks beside the road.

100-ft 12-ga *flexible - the limper the better* extension cord, also phone cord one-into-two adapter, 100 feet of phone wire with ends installed and a cheap phone. The phone stuff may be irrelevant if you have cell phones, but I've certainly found it convenient for driveway camping. Also Radio Shack has a very cheap little battery-powered intercom set that works beautifully, comes with 100 ft of skinny wire. Handy for the office-on-the-go. Battery trickle charger (2-amp) can be handy -- we actually have a 10-amp automatic charger permanently attached in the pantry, plugs into the fridge outlet box and runs whenever the van is plugged in. That's more wiring than you'll want to mess with, though. With a lighter plug on it the little guy will charge through the cigarette lighter.

A dishpan under the sink drain works, but messy and inconvenient. Around here lots of places sell plastic gas cans with vent caps that snap on and off, and a skinny corrugated polyethylene extension tube that pulls out of the main cap -- nice slide fit inside the drainpipe and the ?2 gal+8 oz? size is a perfect fit underneath. We have a cord with a clothespin tied to the can -- clip it to the reefer vent so you don't forget and drive away. All this makes it pretty easy to be discreet on the street and still use water. We also have a little round basin that fits nicely in the sink -- very handy in various ways, including keeping small uses of water from ever getting to the drain.

Awning (if you don't have one) makes all the difference in the rain. We carry 8x10 cheap tarp, bungees, a nylon strap and two telescoping tent poles from WallyMart. Bungee to the poptop hinge, bungee sideways across luggage rack, strap forward, under windshield wiper, across to left-hand metal post behind the lower grille (I can't visualize this right now but if you look you'll find it). Guy lines from the tent poles lined up with the diagonal axis of the tarp. Wooden pads for poles. Adjust pole height for conditions, hang a weight off edge between poles if you need to shed rain. Nice shelter, nice shade. On city street with no poles, lets you get under and get in and out without rain getting inside. Green or brown tarp nicer than blue but they all work. Only weakness of this setup is wind -- the grommets tend to tear out.

A couple chocks -- two chunks of 4x4 post or a couple bricks will work fine.

A chunk of half-inch or 3/4" plywood for footing for the jack. If you can find a second jack, great -- they work marvelously to level and to steady-up the van for sleeping. A scissors jack works fine, doesn't have to be Vanagon special.

Check your lug wrench -- if it's starting to crack out at the inside corners now is the time to find out. Pretty sure it's 19 mm...

Sixteen-foot 4-ga or 6-ga jumper cables -- if the donor car can't come alongside you need long ones, and they won't have 'em.

The pantry shelf is held up by little plastic buttons nailed into the walls -- don't load it down with heavy stuff. If they're already pulling out (likely) or if you just want something more secure, give me a forwarding address and I'll send along some brass buttons you can screw on in their place (picture attached).

I have seen it happen (three times now on different vehicles including our Westy) that an oil filter gets dinged and/or corroded and springs a pinhole leak -- we find it useful to carry a spare filter, filter wrench and 4 qts of oil -- can save a tow, and the FLAPS in E. Podunk ain't all that likely to have the proper filter. Ditto fuel filter -- if the fuel pump starts making a noticeable noise it's probably trying to suck through a clogged inlet filter (the square plastic one between tank and pump -- you may not have one).

If you want to carry coolant for topping-up, the FLAPS have cap/spouts that shut off with a quarter-turn. A couple inches long, perfect for the overflow tank.

cheers david

-- David Beierl - dbeierl@attglobal.net