Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 May 2002 14:12:01 -0400
From:         David Katsuki <dkatsuki@THEWORLD.COM>
Subject:      Re: Floor Jack-jacking points for the front end
Comments: To: phil stanhope <napszeerf@YAHOO.COM>

Plil,

A jack centered on the subframe member will in all likelihood bend the subframe some (I did that on an earlier van). What I have done recently is to use a piece of 4x4" lumber long enough to span the length of the center subframe (24"?) (parallel to the subframe and perpendicular to the long axis of the van), and then jack under the center of the 4x4. This puts the force at the ends of the subframe where it is much stronger. I've also been meaning to weld up a proper bracket which would take the place of the 4x4, but somehow that always gets displaced by more urgent projects...

Dave 90 Westy

At 08:34 AM 5/10/02 -0700, phil stanhope wrote: >I Checked the Archives but only found rear points. > >Im bleeding again. Ive been jacking the front end, >right at the sub frame where the steering bracket is >mounted, dead center. Im afraid its too much weight on >that subframe though. > >Is there a better dead-center place to jack the WHOLE >front end up? > >Thanks in advance so I dont have to Pmail thank you:) > >Phil***84' Westy Tiico "Millenium Falcon" >***60' Morris Mini1340CC(for sale $10k range) > >__________________________________________________ >Do You Yahoo!? >Yahoo! Shopping - Mother's Day is May 12th! >http://shopping.yahoo.com