Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 May 2002 14:03:13 -0500
From:         "Cookson, Noel" <ncookson@CELOXNETWORKS.COM>
Subject:      Re: 1551 emulator
Comments: cc: Matthew Pollard <poll7356@uidaho.edu>

Matthew,

Thanks for all of the advice. This should save me a lot trouble.

Do you know anything about the OBDScan for the Palm OS? This might be the way to go if you don't have a laptop. After looking at the info on http://www.ghg.net/dharrison/obdscan.html I cannot tell if this product offers the same functionality as a 1551. What do you think? Also would you please email me about your $30 option?

I wanted to go with tdi but the starting price was 50% more expensive than tiico; not many people had gone that route; my mechanic has had problems with the supplier of the kit. Not Ken but the company that supplies Ken with the kit.

The fastforward kit did not seem to be as popular on the list as the tiico. Maybe I am wrong but most of the conversions I hear about are either subies or tiico. I wanted to go with a kit that I can find help with because, like you, I live in an area where vanagons are pretty rare.

Noel - '88 GL

-----Original Message----- From: Matthew Pollard [mailto:poll7356@uidaho.edu] Sent: Friday, May 10, 2002 11:50 AM To: Cookson, Noel Cc: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: 1551 emulator

Ok, let me give you a hand because i've been down this road...

First place, before we start talking about 1551 tool and stuff... lets talk about the tiico. As a self installed tiico owner i have some advice.

#1) don't use the vanagon injector setup. it's wrong (wrong pattern, wrong pressure, just wrong). So get yourself an a2 fuel rail. www.wolfsport.com has them used for 60$. Get the seal too. Now you may want to send this out for a rebuild and cleaning. The INjector Shop is a good place (look'em up on the web).

#2) the left engine mount cradle is wrong. it has a rubber bushing at the rear... get this- according to peter is was a left-over part from an 82 diesel model year. nice. After that vw went w/ solid mounts. So, either sourse a solid mount or weld it solid. OR deal with vibrations....

#3) install an oxygen sensor. Can use the three or 1 wire variety. Can also use the 3 wire lincoln/ford/mercury ones... search the syncro archives for that or ask and i'll email it to you.

#4) Sourse a diesel oil tube (the oil-into-the-engine tube). OR take the tube off of your current engine and make it fit. I think you need to reweld the connecting flange to fit. The diesel tube needs work too, but not that much actually.

#4) The directions for the exhaust system- forget it. Make your own or bring it to a shop for some work. Is this a syncro? If not, then i have a design from VW of SA for teh CORRECT exhaust system. Probably cost ya 200$ to have made.

#5) You powersteeting hoses will look crimped and kinked. Tough.

#6) get some sound dampening

#7) installing the air-filter houseing- don't drill the holes into the body or anything like that till you install the engine. The directions are wrong and the filter needs some augmentation to fit. Is that a word? You'll see what i mean

#8) the throttle cable is missing a piece. It is a circlip thingee. i think this is teh # N 012 328 1 and # 171 721 570A again you'll see what i mean...

And now i'll discuss the emulator and stuff.

First place, you need the tool (1551/2 or vagcom) to set the timing, mixture, and calibrate the throttle body and to read and erase the fault codes. I would first try to find a shop local to you that has this tool OR better yet, has done these transplants and have them set-up the engine. If that is not an option (it wasn't for me. I live in teh middle of nowhere...) then you need to go the Vagcom route. There are a few ways to do this. #1 is to go to www.ross-tech.com and pay about $200 for the software and interface, then drag your laptop into your bus and you are good to go. There is another option which cost about 30$. Email me for details. I went the second route and am very happy.

To actually set the ecu, you need to download the giant .pdf from www.tiico.com/wiring.htm on the motronic ignition system and read it. It tells you the way to time the engine, calibrate teh throttle body and to fine tune the mixture.

And to wrap this up- why are you deciding to install teh tiico over the www.fastforwad.ca kit or the tdi kits that ken wilford sell??? email me for details but i'm just trying to say if you have more time and skill than $, consider the www.fastforward.ca kit or one of Ken's.

matthew 86 syncro westy tiico