Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 11 May 2002 10:35:30 -0400
From:         80 Westy Pokey <pokey@VANAGON.ORG>
Subject:      Re: gas can in your westy cargo area?
Comments: To: pensioner <al_knoll@PACBELL.NET>

As I understand it, and admittedly my knowledge is limited, you are grounded when filling your take by virtue of the fact that the nozel itself is metal as is the filler neck to your tank.

You are correct, It is unlikely that an explosion would occur due to static electricity, it is also unlikely that I will be involved in a collision every time I drive some where... but I still do up my seatbelt.

Thanks, Chris

---- Original message ---- >Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 12:56:40 -0700 >From: pensioner <al_knoll@PACBELL.NET> >Subject: Re: gas can in your westy cargo area? >To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > >I'm a little confused about this "static discharge". IIRC my vanagon is not >electrically connected to the ground or to the supply tank by virtue of the >insulating rubber wheels. Therefore such a discharge should not be able to >occur unless the spark jumps from the metal part of the car to the ground ~ >6". > >If a non-conductive container is placed on the floor of the van and the >device that has the charge "filler nozzle" or gas pump spigot is used to >fill it, I fail to see that there would be any significant difference in >"static" electricity discharge path from the car itself. Certainly the a >surface discharge across the non conductive surface of a "plastic" container >to ground would involve the previous path "metal to ground" plus the surface >path plus the path through the non conductive floor material. > >Seriously folks, an 8" spark from the gasoline supply tank is of the same >likelyhood as being struck by two meteors in sequence while you were filling >the tank. > >Now grounding before touching a rotary wing aircraft that has just landed >is a completely different story and can have spectacular results. > >Any EHV folks care to comment? > >Perhaps I haven't noticed all the explosions when our local lawn magicians >fill their plastic containers in the bed of the truck. One's hearing does >decline in later years. Huh? > >pensioner