Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 11 May 2002 17:01:13 -0700
From:         Bob Whitby <rpwhitby@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      rotten idle surge -- I give up

Supposed to leave tomorrow on the long trip and I've been battling that stinking idle flutter. I lost. Here's what I tried: checked and adjusted, and checked again, throttle switch replaced 02 sensor replaced temp 2 sensor replaced air bypass valve w/used unit. Tried to adjust used unit checked timing checked AFM per Bentley cleaned ground to left side of engine replaced plugs, points, wires, rotor, cap adjusted idle speed and idle mixture pulled idle sub computer and cleaned contacts

It still surges enough to get the bus rocking at stoplights, and still runs smooth(er) when I disconnected the 02 sensor. Guess I'll just get used to throwing it in neutral at the lights for the next 8,000 miles or so. Or maybe I'll take it in and admit defeat.

Ideas are still welcome Bob W. '87 Westy -- "Bucky"