Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 11 May 2002 20:55:26 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: rotten idle surge -- a thought
Comments: To: Bob Whitby <rpwhitby@MINDSPRING.COM>

Bob Whitby wrote:

> The PO of my 87 Westy burned out the AC compressor. Instead of replacing the unit she just cut the wires and belt. Could the cut wiring have an effect on the "surging" idle, seeing as there is supposedly a switch between the AC compressor and the idle stabilizer valve to increase to bump up the idle with the AC is on, similar to the full-lock switch for the power steering? >

Bob, when I bought my 88 GL, I never got to use the AC right away, because I hit a bump in the road one day and the entire AC tunnel in the ceiling fell down. I just parked the pieces until I could get to the fix, so it was several months before I was ready to use the AC. I went and had it services, and the very first shot out of the box was engine surging when the AC was turned on. It took a bit of fiddling but I fanally came to the conclusion that someone, PO, mechanic, someone, had been fiddling with the idle before to try and get the surgin under control. I finally decided to do an idle speed setup so the AC/idle kickup would have the right base from which to start, when the AC was turned on.

The process worked. This might be something for you to try. With the engine warm, and the idle stabilizer valve disconnected, get the idle speed adjusted right - 850 to 900 rpm. Engine off, reconnect the ISV, start her up and after the engine is warm turn on the AC.

Hope it works for you. That is the simplest place to start. It certainly won't perform right if the basic settings are not correct.

Good luck.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver