Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 May 2002 11:43:46 -0500
From:         Jeremy Speer <jspeer@POBOX.COM>
Subject:      General "Warm Up" Question and an admission....

Folks,

Could anybody please explain the mixture changes that occur as the standard 2.1 wasserboxer warms up to operating temperature? It is simply a matter of the water temp II sensor saying to the ECU, "ok, we're at temp, lean it out."

Here in Minneapolis the temp has warmed into the 50's. At that temp, when i start my van, it is simply wonderful. Lots of power, especially in the low end of the RPM range. What i mean by that is i can shift before 3000 and the engine just pulls right out of the RPM hole smoothly.

However, after about seven to ten minutes, as the temp needle just begins to move on the scale, this behavior stops and i need to rev to 3800~4000 if i want the vehicle to continue accelerating when i shift to the next gear. Accelerator pedal position does not seem to make a difference... on the floor or 1/2 wide open... exact same sluggish performance until the RPMs build.

It is like the "power band" simply moves up the tachometer as the engine warms up.

I recently put in a brand new AFM and a K&N air filter. This has improved overall performance (i'd like to believe), but, if anything, has put even more of a spotlight on this cold/warm performance difference.

Now for the admission (unrelated to above question)... i add this with *great* trepidation (i'm putting my body armor on as i type): I posted a while back that my radiator had started a slow leak. After dropping the spare tire and really getting in up there i saw the leak was indeed along the edge of the radiator. Well, as a temporary fix, upon the suggestion of the local VW shop where i've had all my repairs done, i slowly put about two tablespoons of "Silver Seal" into the cooling system after the engine was fully up to temp. The guys at the VW shop said "Silver Seal" is the only stuff they'd even consider putting in a wasserboxer.

I kept the engine revving while looking up front.... drip... drip.... drip......drip.........drip........ then no more drips. I got out my IR Thermometer and measured all over the engine and radiator, especially the heads, looking for hot or cold spots that might indicate a blockage. About 300 miles later, all seems fine.

I will replace the radiator as soon as i pay off my most recent repair bills.

So, i know my dad would be saying (shouting), "you put particulate matter in your COOLING system! Are you NUTS?!"

I'm wondering what all y'all have to say on the subject. I may add a can of "Silver Seal" to my roadtrip kit.

-jspeer

'89 Westy, "Mystery Machine"