Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 May 2002 10:55:09 -0700
From:         Ward Smith <wsmith@SAN.RR.COM>
Subject:      Bus for sale....(which year is best)
Comments: To: Bill N <freeholder@STARBAND.NET>

Hey Bill,

I noticed you were looking for a bus project. I have a nice 1969 Pop Top for sale right now here in San Diego. You were asking which years were best (and the Vanagon list people get pretty snotty about there years), but I have owned buses from '57->'85 so I can give you a pretty unbiased point of view.

The split window buses ('55->'67) are the best looking, in my opinion, but suffer from the obvious age problems. Sure you can find a rust free one, but you will pay through the nose for it, and when you are all done with your restoration you will have a marginal performing camper. They are usually underpowered, finicky, scary things to drive. However, their coolness and resale value make them worthwhile if you are interested in those aspects.

The "bay" window buses ('68->'79) are usually the best values you can find. They are not yet in high demand, and there are plenty of rust free ones out there. The camping interior is almost identical to the older split window versions (Westfalia models), but with more room up front, taller pop top, etc. The biggest difference between these two groups is the ride. The bay windows got IRS and ball joint front ends which make the ride ten times smoother. Also with the elimination of the reduction boxes from the earlier split window versions, the max speed jumped to a respectable number. The bay windows, however are broken up into a few other sub-groups which are basically engine changes. These are probably in my opinion the biggest mistakes new bus owners make. The '68->'71 buses used an upright air-cooled motor. Easy to work on, cheap to replace, and pretty trouble free if you take care of it. The '71->'79 got upgraded to a "pancake motor" with fuel injection starting in '72. These motors are a PITA. They are pretty cheap to buy parts for and replace, but they are so hard to work on most people just take them to a mechanic and pay out the a$$ to have them fixed. Not a good motor in my opinion.

Starting in 1980, the whole body changed again. The Vanagon started with an aircooled motor (similar to the pancake) but got watercooling in mid 1983. The design and camping interior in these buses are by far the best VW ever produced. The motors, however, are usually troublesome and very very very expensive to replace. I can buy an entire longblock for a bay window (upright air cooled) for the price of one head for a watercooled vanagon. Also the camper versions are extremely pricey right from the start. I am fixing an 83.5 Westy to sell, and it will probably sell for 2-3 times what I have my '69 listed for.

Well, hope this helps. Let me know if you have any specific questions, or are interested in the '69. I have it on thesamba.com if you want to see pictures which is probably your best bet for somewhere to start looking for exactly what you want.

GL,

Ward

Oh, forgot to tell you which was the best year...sorry.

1967 if you want a split window bus. (first year for factory 12 Volt and dual circuit master cylinder)

1971 for the baywindow. (Front disk brakes and dual port motor)

...any year vanagon (they are all pretty much the same once you decide air/water cooled)