Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 May 2002 14:31:38 EDT
From:         JordanVw@AOL.COM
Subject:      Re: Bus for sale....(which year is best)
Comments: To: wsmith@SAN.RR.COM

In a message dated 5/12/02 1:58:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time, wsmith@SAN.RR.COM writes:

> . The '71->'79 got upgraded to a "pancake motor" with fuel > injection starting in '72. These motors are a PITA. They are pretty cheap to > buy parts for and replace, but they are so hard to work on most people just > take them to a mechanic and pay out the a$$ to have them fixed. Not a good > motor in my opinion. > >

**correction** actually, fuel injection started in '75, NOT '72. '68-'70 had the single port 1600 , and the '71 had the dual port 1600, both upright "beetle" engines w/ single solex carbs. in '72 they went to the 1700cc dual carbed pancake motor.. in '73 the motor was also the dual carbed 1700 , then in '74 they went to the 1800cc dual carbed pancake.. in '75 they added fuel injection to the 1800cc, and eliminated the carbs.. in '76 they came out with the 2.0L.FI . then in '78 they added hydraulic lifters to the 2.0L FI. then in '79 they used the square port vanagon style heads on the 2.0L FI and the Cat became standard.. basically the same engine as the aricooled vanagon with the alternator in a different place.. '78 is the best year, because you have the nicer interior, the 2.0L FI engine w/ hyd lifters, and there is no cat..

chris