Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 May 2002 00:40:29 -0700
From:         Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Removing/cleaning fuel tank
Comments: To: Darren <dfazio@BELLSOUTH.NET>

Darren- I've removed many tanks. first, you need to remove the filler neck, which can sometimes be difficult , tricky at best. Then you need a 13 mm socket to remove the only two bolts holding the tank in, on the ends of the 2 bars. the tank will drop suddenly unless you have a floor jack with a square piece of plywood on top. lower it down halfway, unplug the gauge sender wire, the vent lines and it's free. WHile the tank is out you now have access to the shift rod bushing to lube it (not sure if it's the same as on my '82). While the tank is out, consider replacing the gauge sender, and any other grommets that don't look good. Here's a trick for putting the tank back- get new vent hose and double the original lengths so that the tank can be hooked up to all of it's hose connections while on the ground. Then you won't have to fiddle with them once the tank is up . I replaced the 82 tank with an 84 and treated the interior with a rust neutralizer first. After you do this plan on replacing the square filter a few times as rust will be loosened from treating the tank. After it is dry , blow it out with air , then rinse it out with gas mixed with oil several times.

Robert 1982 Westfalia 1982 Wolfsburg

----- Original Message ----- Wrom: JYFMYX Sent: Sunday, May 12, 2002 9:56 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Removing/cleaning fuel tank

While changing the fuel line at the tank of my '87 Westy, I noticed a substantial amount of sediment in the gas I drained off. Without having a Bentley in hand (already ordered and on it's way), are there any tricks/tips on dropping the tank? Once removed, what is the best way to clean it?

Thanks, Darren.Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com