Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 May 2002 08:21:42 -0600
From:         Ben McCafferty <ben@KBMC.NET>
Subject:      Re: Rear brake adjuster
Comments: To: Rubatoguy <Rubatoguy@MINDSPRING.COM>

You can turn it either direction with a bladed screwdriver, but the screwdriver needs to be about 6" long or so. The adjustment wheel on the right side has left-handed threads. The wheel on the left side has right-handed threads. The piece you turn (the toothed wheel) is to the front of the van on both sides. So, to adjust the brakes OUT (towards the drums), on the right side, you need to turn the wheel clockwise (as you look from the front of the van). On the left side, you need to turn the wheel counter-clockwise. So in both cases, insert your screwdriver from in front of the spring/shock, with the handle down and the blade up. Then pull the handle up with the blade engaged.

Another way to think about this is the top of the adjustment wheels move towards the inside of the van in order to move the shoes closer to the drums.

Also, there is a self-adjusting bracket that rides on the adjuster wheel, and it clicks each time you turn the wheel. If you listen to the clicks, one direction will be louder than the other. The direction that clicks louder is moving the shoes AWAY from the drums.

I always learned to adjust the brakes to where you couldn't turn the wheel by hand, then back it off one or two teeth. The brakes supposedly self-adjust, but I have always had better results with doing them manually when the e-brake cables get too loose.

HTH, bmc :) "Faith will move mountains, but you'd better bring a shovel...."