Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 May 2002 08:51:16 -0600
From:         Ben McCafferty <ben@KBMC.NET>
Subject:      Re: How does clutch slave cylinder attach to clutch lever arm?
Comments: To: John Clemens <jbclem@EARTHLINK.NET>

Hi John, I'm not sure if I understand your question correctly, but let me give it a shot. The hydraulic line from your clutch master comes into the clutch slave. The slave has a piston, surrounded by a rubber boot, that rides against the cross shaft (the part that holds the throwout bearing inside the tranny). The connection between the slave and the cross shaft is not a snap fit--it is just a ball and socket. The slave is bolted into a bracket with two 13mm bolts/nuts (they can be difficult to remove and replace). Then the whole bracket/slave assembly bolts onto the side of the tranny. The positioning of the assembly on the tranny puts pressure between the slave piston and cross shaft arm. When you go to bolt up the slave/bracket assembly, you will have to push the piston in a little to get it to clear onto the cross shaft. After that, the pressure from the piston is what will hold the ball/socket together.

You make a good point about there being no return spring to hold the throwout bearing off the pressure plate. I looked at mine and in Bentley, and can't seem to find mention of one. Hopefully someone else out there can enlighten us as to how the two parts are held apart. It doesn't seem like the throwout bearing would be riding on the pressure plate tines all the time, but maybe it does.

Anyway, hope this answers part of your question at least. bmc :) "Faith will move mountains, but you'd better bring a shovel...."