Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 May 2002 07:56:26 -0700
From:         Zoran Mladen <zmaninco@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Head gasket job getting out of hand
Comments: To: John Morris <jmorris1@CAROLINA.RR.COM>

Hey John,

Here is my input:

Head studs - if you have an inch sticking out, you have plenty. Clamp onto the broken stud tightly with vise grips. Heat the area surrounding the stud with a torch. Try to loosen. Will probably come loose. Heat the area well. If that fails, the stud will probably break again. At this point, ez out or drill out and retap.

Piston pin removal - Easily done with 3/8" thread rod. Run the rod through the piston. On the other side, hold a 3/8" nut with needle nose pliers or vise grips. Thread the nut. Then use a large socket against the case (this is so the wrist pin will go inside the socket), put a nut on the outside of this, and then drive the nut. Easily pulls the wrist pin. Make sure the nut clears the snap ring - the nut I use has about a 15mm head. How did you remove the wrist pins on the other side?

--- John Morris <jmorris1@CAROLINA.RR.COM> wrote: > Hi all,pulled the engine in my 85 Westy to replace > head gaskets this > weekend. Things were going great on the driver side, > barrels weren't stuck, > head sealing surface was pitted but reparable with > JB Weld. Replaced the > water pump, t-stat and clutch and it all was going > so smoothly, I should > have known that disaster was lurking on the other > side of the case. > > On the passenger side, two of the head studs (both > top middle ones) snapped > when I began to loosen the nuts. One of the studs > looks long enough to > remove without much trouble, the other snapped > leaving only about an inch of > stud showing. Is it possible to remove the piston > pins without the use of > the VW special tool? And what methods would you > employ to remove the > offending studs from the case? I'm assuming an > EZ-out is the logical choice, > no? Any ideas or info from those that have been down > this road before would > be greatly appreciated. > > Getting in over my head ! > > John Morris > '85 Westy > "If he speaks in the woods but she is not there to > hear him, is he still > wrong?"