Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 May 2002 12:24:15 -0400
From:         Derek Krueger <vanagon@DRKRU.COTSE.NET>
Subject:      New to List and Trip Report (LONG)

Hello All -

I am new to this list (been lurking for over two months) and have not previously posted. I am the new owner of a 1984 Vanagon Westfalia Wolfsburg Edition w/ Tiico conversion. You may know this vehicle as it was for sale on ebay a short time ago ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/ebayISAPI.dll? ViewItem&item=1824104150&r=0&t=0 ). I have been looking for a Vanagon camper for some time and the vehicle, time, price, etc. was finally right. Although the place (NC) was a little far from Minnesota, where I am from, I knew that if I was going to find a vehicle that meet my requirements I would most likely have to leave the Midwest.

And leave the Midwest I did...

My Dad and I flew out from Minneapolis last Friday at landed in Greensboro, North Carolina by 6:30 PM. We were greeted at the Airport by Tom, the gentlemen I was buying the van from. We then took the van out for the road test and inspection. The process took us about an hour and a half and everything was better than I had expected, which was great considering I was a bit uneasy about buying a van, site-unseen, over the Internet. We completed the inspection and went out for Pizza with Tom - the now PO of the Vanagon. We went back to Tom's house to pick up the extra seat and awning. As my dad and I departed, the whole family gathered to watch their family friend leave. You could clearly see on their faces they would miss the van, whom had been a close traveling companion.

My dad and I drove straight back from NC to MN. The trip lasted over twenty-one hours and covered almost 2000 miles. The Westy performed flawlessly (well, as flawlessly as an 18 year-old moving billboard can). She flew through the Mountains as we left North Carolina, making short work of the steep grades. We were able to take on the worst of the mountain, in the dark, going 75 (that's MPH, not KMH :) with comfort and ease. She performed well through the night with hardly a break, only stopping to give her gas and us caffeine. We hit Chicagoland just as a downpour started and traffic got real bad. She handled the bumper-to-bumper, stop and go traffic for two hours with nary and wine or wheeze. We finished the rest of the trip, battling 40 mile an hour wind gusts and rain all the way back to Minneapolis. The trip and the van could not have went any better.

However, there is always room for improvement. One area is engine and road noise. Now I must admit, I am quite spoiled as my daily driver is a 2002 Passat, but I think there is some room for improvement here. I am already planning my dynomat (sp) install. Also, as the Tiico is known for adding some extra noise I would like to address this as well. The exhaust has already been custom fit, along with some other work, but I would like to look at that engine mount I have read about. The other area that needs some work is the ride/suspension. I don't believe anything has been done with this in the recent future so I am going to be doing some research to improving the ride via new shocks and springs (input appreciated).

She goes in for her initial check-up tomorrow AM to a shop called Good Carma here in Minneapolis. They (the mechanics, who drive Vanagons) are quite eager to see her.

Sorry this was so long.

Thanks for yout time, Derek