Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 May 2002 15:42:02 -0400
From:         "G. Matthew Bulley" <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: I have a friend who needs help; he is stuck with a strange
              problem URGENT URGENT.

VW (to my knowledge) has NEVER had a "check engine" light on any car they have produced. Ever.

Perhaps it was the "Check Glasses Prescription" light?

Here is (to my recollection) the warning/indicator lights/LEDs VW has offered in the 1980's: Oil Pressure, Alternator/Charging Problem, coolant over-temperature/level, 30k OXS timer, 30k CAT timer, glow plug (Diesel), water separator full (Diesel), high beam, turn signal, hazard, rear window defogger on.

G. Matthew Bulley Grand Emporer of the VW Heat, Rust, Noise Web Page http://www.bulley-hewlett.com/VWindex/ Owner of too many VW's to mention Mount Olive, NC

Hi guys, my friend is partially stuck in Indiana, he is on its way back to Quebec from a USA tour.

Here is the problem: The van is a 86 GL automatic 2.1L.

He said that on a sudden acceleration over 4000RPM the engine check light (not the oil light!) went ON (Flashing) and the buzzer went ON also (this happen about 5 times), when he slow down under 3500rpm the problem disappear (that was yesterday). As I don't have an engine warning light on my 87 manual trany (or I don't know where this light is located) I am not sure what he is talking about.

Is the red left light on the dash his an engine warning light?

I don't have my Bentley with me so I cannot do any electrical diagram check.

He is not mechanically oriented at all but he is quite intelligent and he will understand "basic checking" help.

Is the engine check light on an 86 is the same as an oil light on an 87?

I told him all about the high-pressure sender oil light / buzzer relation over 2000 RPM but I am not sure if that's the problem.

The westy is not his and he want to be careful not to blow something.

For now I told him to double check the oil level (every 150miles) and to carefully monitor the engine temp.

He said that the oil level is stable but I don't know anything else for now, the problem did not reappear for the last 300 miles. He as a portable computer link to Internet with is cell phone so he is waiting for any suggestion.

I don't know about any buzzer / engine check light related problem.

Many thanks volks, Ben http://www3.sympatico.ca/huotx/engine1.htm