Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 May 2002 16:22:21 -0400
From:         Ben huot <huotx@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: Bus for sale....(which year is best)

Thank you all again for the FAN explanation!

I know it's a Vanagon list but I'm sure a few bus questions won't hurt.

Correct me if am wrong:

1- From 71 to 79 the main body is about the same size and weight(not the pop top, I know)

2- The camper interior layout is better after 74 (fridge and all) After 75, the interior layout is about the same as the 80 series.

3- The 2.0L Air cooled must be more powerful than the 1.8, 1.7, 1.6 (same body!), I know that when the 2.0L came out is was to compensate the weight addition of the fridge, stove and bigger pop-top etc. But if the body was the same than the previous years, the overall power must be better than 70/75!

All those question because I am looking for one, my girl is crazy about the older shape (-79). What I personally want is those 65/69 years with the VW "V" shape and big round light in the front (with the square pop top). But they tell me that they are quite rare, also the original engine was a beetle 1300cc engine and the van was very underpowered, the solution was to put a 1600cc (easily fitted) into those.

Second choice would be a 75 over because of the interior layout and the improve power curve of the 2.0L, if the 80-83 run the 2.0L the power must be good in a 75-79!!!

I also don't like the 71/73 interior layouts; I don't like the big sink in the entrance (side door) and the small pop top that open the other way. I have seen the interior of this pop-top and if I am right there is only places for one child (the one I have seen is like a hammock single bed on the left side) I like a full bed up there.

Remember that I don't use my west for showing!! I like to do very long trip and I like to sleep by myself some time (when camping with my girl!! or other friend).

I am a bit confuse about the 69/73 years as to who was doing the conversion, was there official Westfalia camper, first year of the full pop-top, orientation of the pop-top.

Please correct me if am wrong.

Like you probably all know, I am from Montreal, So if any of you guys are aware of some good deal around the northern / eastern USA / Canada, let me know. (I hate e-bay!)

Is it true that the best deal would be the 69/73 years. Cheers, Ben