Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 May 2002 17:56:04 -0700
From:         Ryan Alfonso <cyranoleo@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      TiiCo fuel rail conversion
Comments: To: ncookson@CELOXNETWORKS.COM

Hey Amigos!

This goes out to the guy in search of info on the A2/A3 fuel rail bizness (ncookson@CELOXNETWORKS.COM)

Yeah, there's a few dull blades at wolfsport(German Auto Salvage). But, they're counterbalanced by the tons of guys there who know HUGE amounts of VW trivia. Incredible guys!

I was just there on the same mission last week. I've got an A3 rail installed now on my TiiCo and I'm going back to the A2 rial. I thought at first the A3 would be better because you could swap higher pressure fpr's in there (from passats etc.). A3 is bad news!!!

The A3 rail can be distinguished from its older cousins because it has an integral, and relatively small, Fuel PRessure Regulator. This is the rrail to avoid. It will work, but it's way too much bother and the end result is spooky! The injectors end up crooked, which could lead to air leaking past the seals and who knows? cooked pistons?.

THe A2 rail has a big FPR hangin off the end of the rail, and is slightly shorter.

Since tehy don't really give a rats patootee, you might ask themm to give you an A2 rail with the vastly improved A3 injectors.

Either way, wehn you recieve the stuff you'll want to clean everything and send the injectors out for servicing since they're used and been throu godknowswhat since leaving the donor vehicle. Make sure they don't send you an A2 rail with the inlet port broken off...the weak spot in the design since it comes in at an angle. Saw a few busted ones in their boxes of rails. They want 50 bucks complete.

So, it seems all ya gotta do is cut the tabs off the A2 rail, turn the FPR upsidedown from its original orientation, and bolt it up with the TiiCo injector bracket thingy. You might need to shorten the posts on the injector bracket depending on your choice of injectors. A3's are shorter than A2's, which I think may be shorter than or equal to the stock Vanagon ones.

I think the zip ties in Peter's photos are purely there for peace of mind. Who needs that anyway??

Good luck brudda, Ry