Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 May 2002 17:21:46 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: rebuilding p/s rack
Comments: To: Steve Sandlin <vwcarlocks@HOTMAIL.COM>

Steve Sandlin wrote:

> Has anyone gone through a reseal on a power steering rack? I've got the seal > kit, but haven't yet taken the rack off to start the project. Having second > thoughts since the Bentley says nothing. Looking for someone who's done it > to tell me the difficulty or anything to beware.

Steve, I didn't do mine hands on, but I had it done on my 85GL by a friend who was a VW dealer mechanic.

I didn't see anything difficult about it EXCEPT getting the retaining ring off the end of the barrel. It takes a special spanner wrench with little tangs that fit down into slots. My friend used the old hammer and punch method at home, since there was no spanner available. While the rest of the job ws easy, he did succeed in breaking the cast aluminum lock ring. He is very good with mig welding, and had it welded back together in no time. Ran it 100000 miles after that and never any trouble.

The lock ring is a bitch. Suggest you go to the trouble of making a wrench instead of the punch and hammer method.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver