Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 May 2002 21:44:04 -0700
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Addition engine cooling thoughts and ramblings...

My 2.0L I4 that I installed in my Syncro 16 is now running great (using European T3 Diesel hardware). The coolant needed is above the LED when the engine is warmed up by about 2 needle widths. The rad fan doesn't come on and there is sufficient heat when the heater is on. When I do turn the heater on I notice the temp will drop about 1 needle width - hmmm.....

This weekend I was looking at ways of keeping the oil temps down. Currently there is the Audi 3A water -> oil cooler on there and from what other people have told me it does an OK job of keeping the temps down but not really when you are working the engine up a good hill. The local wrecking yard has some 2.3L Audis in it with the external air -> oil coolers mounted on them. The cooler is pathetically small, but there are lots of bigger oil radiators out there.

My idea is to do the following to keep the temps down to a minimum in the engine. First, mount an 12'x4' oil cooler on the right side of the engine bay where there is all sorts of room below the coolant bottle - protect it from my 4x4ing adventures with an extension of the skid plate. Then I was thinking of how to further cool things - if I turn on the heater, the water temp drops slightly - so, why not install a small heater core in the engine bay as well in line with the other heaters in the van - one could even install an on-off switch on this so in the winter time I could get more heat inside of the vehicle.

Suggestions and comments are welcome.

David Marshall

Fast Forward Automotive Inc. 4356 Quesnel Hixon Road Quesnel BC Canada V2J 6Z3

http://www.fastforward.ca mailto:sales@fastforward.ca Phone: (250) 992 7775 FAX: (250) 992 1160

- Vanagon Accessories and Engine Conversions - Vanagon, Transporter and Iltis Sales and Importation - European Lighting for most Volkswagen models