Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 May 2002 08:55:01 -0400
From:         80 Westy Pokey <pokey@VANAGON.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Agilis hard to find?
Comments: To: DaveC <voicebox@DNAI.COM>

They may not be available in the US but in Canada I was able to order Agilis 51 in 215/65-15. I bought mine from my local Canadian Tire store.

Be careful of two things:

1) MSRP Price: Originally Agilis 51's had insane they wanted $250 CAD per tire (And that was just last year). I spoke to a Michelin rep at the Toronto Auto Show in February who told me the new catalogue has new prices more in line with what they sell for. I picked mine up for something like $180 CAD. I heard the 205's sell for $100 US when they are on sale.

2) The Canadian Michelin Catalogue has the Agilis sharing page with some other tire, and the name is REALLY small. It makes them hard to find. Three times in three different stores I had to find it for the salesperson, who said "They aren't in the catalogue".

As for the Agilis 61's lack of sidewall figure. You'll note that stock tires also ommit it. I have seen 82 as the sidewall figure for stock tires so I bet its the same. Incedentally, 185/82-14's are wiithin 1% of the diameter of 215/65-15's.

Thanks, Chris

---- Original message ---- >Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 10:56:32 -0700 >From: DaveC <voicebox@DNAI.COM> >Subject: Agilis hard to find? >To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > >I called several Michelin dealers and they all said "Don't have the >Agilis, but can order for you. What size?" > >Since I've not been able to determine what size tire I should put on >my new 15" wheels, I couldn't answer that question. "What sizes do >the Agilis come in?", asks I. > >"Can't look up tires by model to tell you what sizes are available. >The computer won't do that," is the typical reply. > >Turns out it's a moot point: Agilis comes in two (yes, two) sizes: > Agilis 51: 205/65 15 load range C > Agilis 61: 185 14 load range C (note the lack of sidewall figure; 70? 60?) > >Ref. Agilis pdf file from Michelin-us web site: > <http://tires.michelin- us.com/assets/pdfs/doc_agilis.pdf> > >Any comments? > >Dave >-- >Dave Carpenter > >Whatever you wish for me, >May you have twice as much. > >"Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think >we're not. In either case the idea is quite staggering." -- Arthur C. >Clarke