Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 May 2002 11:05:20 -0600
From:         Andrew Fox <afox@CNR.COLOSTATE.EDU>
Subject:      Plat cat heater and dual propane tanks (fwd)
Comments: cc: rogers23@optonline.net

Here is some info about the plat cat heater and dual propane tank setup:

First of all they dont make the plat cat anymore but the guy that makes them sells refurbished ones for about $500 thats how i got mine. plat cat has some advantages including: -low electricity use -low propane use -vented and safe

and some disadvantages: -only 5200 btus which is less than some other heaters. in very cold weather you may not be able to use the poptop and may want to do some extra insulation.

I got my second propane tank off a junked vangon. it is easy to install be removing the bench seat tracks and replacing the screws with long bolts. second propane tanks can also be bought for around $200.

The plat cat uses so little propane though that you can get by with one tank which will run the heater for few days nonstop!

if you're going to go with dual propane tanks consider a suburban prpane heater. they are used on all the RV's. The smallest is 12,000 btu. uses more propane and electricity though. about $500 new as well. Ive seen one mounted under the rear bench in a vanagon with vents coming out on the side of the van by the sliding door. The suburban is a forced air so heat distribution will be better than with the plat cat. its also warmer.

see for plat cat info: http://www.geocities.com/harald_nancy/plat_cat_heater.htm and: http://www.omnicast.net/arnie/ for contact info on plat cat sales

adding the heater is my most valuable improvement to the westy. i now camp all year round and use the van for ski trips on weekends here in colorado. $500 is a lot to spend but increasing your camping season from 6 months to 12 is well worth the investment. It should also be noted that most of the heaters have excellent resale values.

Feel free to contact me if you need more info.

Andrew Fox