Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 15 May 2002 11:54:18 -0600
From:         Ben McCafferty <ben@KBMC.NET>
Subject:      Re: rotating cvs FOR A SYNCRO! front
Comments: To: Matthew Pollard <poll7356@UIDAHO.EDU>

No, I think flipping them side to side up front reverses the face that takes force. Hold your hands out like you're holding a basketball, then lace your fingertips. If you push with one hand, then turn your hands over, you'll see that you push with the other side of your fingertips.

Another wrinkle: what I just said is true if you assume power is being applied all the time to the CVs by the driveshaft/VC. But as we know, that's not always the case. If power isn't being provided by the diff, the front wheels are being turned by the forward motion of the van, so the tires would actually be turning the CVs, not the other way around, and this in effect reverses the face that takes force in the CV. So, my question for some Dr. Rainer-type out there is, how frequently and how much force is applied by the diff vs. by the front wheels? If it's 50/50, there's no need to flip the axles. bmc :) "Faith will move mountains, but you'd better bring a shovel...."