Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 15 May 2002 17:23:51 -0400
From:         John Brush <jbrush@AROS.NET>
Subject:      Re: Just Cause
Comments: To: pensioner <al_knoll@PACBELL.NET>

>If asked for a search "Thank you officer, but I do not choose to discuss >my personal affairs with an officer of the law at this time, good day". >Politely roll up the window, do not make eye contact, motor away gently.

I expect this will get you into big trouble.

I believe that the officer can search your vehicle without a warrant, if he believes that has just cause.

Now, what does just cause mean? I have no idea, but basically I think it means if he searches, you can file charges against him and have a judge decide if he had "just cause"

I am not gonna argue like I am an expert lawyer, but if the officer offers you a good reason for wanting to search, you have to let him do it.

Rights are only rights when everyone is honest. A dishonest officer can, and probably will, bend the rules and make you let him search if that is his goal. The part about "rights" only comes in to play when you decide to take him to court. Even then, you are dependent on a judge who obeys the letter of law, and not his own personal interpretation of it.

Wasn't it Jefferson who said that The Constitution was only intended to governing honest citizens, and that it was wholly inadequate for anyone else? Actually, I think the word God goes in there, but you get the idea :-)

John