Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 15 May 2002 22:53:54 -0700
From:         developtrust <developtrust@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Brakes & potential problems
Comments: To: mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>

Thanks Mark & Bob,

When I bought the van I had 75% good brake shoes on the rear. But I will check them again. Last time I had my brakes bled the mechanic at Herman Cook VW (Fred) said I might have an intermittent rear brake cylinder problem and to keep an eye on it. This might be the problem. Next brake job I think I will put on new rear brake cylinders. Until then, doing the back-up-brake-auto-adjust a few times seemed to help a little.

The pedal does feel a little mushy but does not go down as low as when the problem emerged on my trip to the Carcoa auto paint place on State Street in Carlsbad. Then it went all the way to the floor. Now it reacts normally but I now notice that I unconsciously pump the brake most times.

How simple is it to inspect the rear brakes myself?

William